What is the key to a Photographer's Website?

The site does not have to be very intricate if the photography is good enough. as mentioned before, what do the customers want?

Thank you all so much for the responses.
The site you have all seen is just so we can get posted on Google, which I'm proud to say happened in only 3 days, which beats my old record of 8 days!
I'm going to make the site with the option of Flash and Non-flash so everyone can view the site. So I'll post up when we have more done.
I understand that going with a professional web maker is always preferred, but since I'm going into the web design field and my buddy is new to photography I figured we can learn together.
Plus the price of $5000+ for just the flash portion of the site seems a bit high to me. If he went professionally with the site building, hosting, SEO and more it could come out to be over $10,000 for a year.
I wanted to do all this for him for just $1,500 which seems like he can save a lot of money and I'm sure he will get a lot of clients from what I will bring to the table.
Just remember the site you see is just a quick place holder site for something much greater to come. I posted it to get it so Google will recognize the site and so when the full site comes in three weeks or so Google will all ready be ready for his site.

Please keep the feedback coming on what sites need, and my buddy will be specializing in..
Family/Baby photos
Weddings
Landscapes/Architecture
and some miscellaneous other types of shooting like underwater.
He really aims to please and I'm sure that if a client wanted something other than what he has done he would try his best for them.

I went with Prophoto3. Its been great for me with google. Its based on wordpress so its easy to manipulate. Check out my Tampa Wedding Photography Website here. If you like the layout prophoto provides there is a link to their website in the footer of mine.

I went with Prophoto3. Its been great for me with google. Its based on wordpress so its easy to manipulate. Check out my Tampa Wedding Photography Website here. If you like the layout prophoto provides there is a link to their website in the footer of mine.
Your site is showing a fatal error message for me at the bottom:
Fatal error: Cannot redeclare class Minify_HTML in /home2/islandd0/public_html/wp-content/plugins/w3-total-cache/lib/Minify/Minify/HTML.php on line 19

Please keep the feedback coming on what sites need, and my buddy will be specializing in..
Family/Baby photos
Weddings
Landscapes/Architecture
and some miscellaneous other types of shooting like underwater.
He really aims to please and I'm sure that if a client wanted something other than what he has done he would try his best for them.

Ah...anything for a buck. :meh:

Jwellman, I've not seen it on any of my computers, mind if I ask what browser you are using? I'm sure it does have a few bugs, every plugin I've used has fixed one thing and screwed up another.

Jwellman, I've not seen it on any of my computers, mind if I ask what browser you are using? I'm sure it does have a few bugs, every plugin I've used has fixed one thing and screwed up another.
Hi David,
I just went back in and tested it in all three browsers (Chrome, IE, and Firefox). Each one shows the same fatal error. I also made some screen shots to show you a few other places that I noticed. Sorry to sound picky but stuff like this just kind of screams for attention.

$screenshot1.jpg$screenshot2.jpg

Yeah the blank space is there intentionally, as for the wall of periods, for some reason the normal <br> code wouldnt actually skip a line, so i had to put a period per line. I wish I had a little more brains to fix the minify code issue, but I cant figure it out, and I cant seem to find the answer on Google.

Did you also close the <br> code? Like this? </br> And as far as the empty space, it just looks like something is missing. (Just my .02)

~Sorry to derail the OP's topic

The site you have all seen is just so we can get posted on Google, which I'm proud to say happened in only 3 days, which beats my old record of 8 days!

IMHO as a site designer and forum administrator (not this forum :) ), I think it's best if you let your friend hire a professional. I looked over your code and if it takes 3 days to write that then I'm speechless. Something like that should take no more than 3-6 hrs if you're not familiar with the slide show coding, and no more than 20 minutes if you do it for a living. It also looks like the code preload all the images, which is not a good strategy for a HD slideshow. There are sites like Logo Design, Web Design and More. Design Done Differently | 99designs.com that you can post your projects up for bidding. I host several moderate forums with average about 3GB of daily traffic and it costs nowhere near $1000 a year. I doubt that your friend will need that much bandwidth to begin with, so the $9000 for webdesign and other misc projects is greatly inflated in my opinion.

Last edited:
He needs to have pictures that are 'inFocus'. but that could just be from uploading them to the sight. :meh:

^^^ was going to say the same thing. With a title such as "infocus studio" I would atleast expect the photos to be in focus.

To me, it doesn't sound like you know enough about webdesign, and your friend isn't experienced enough in the field of photography to worry about a website. I'd hold off on this until you and your friend have grown more in each of your hobbies. As it is right now, the website is bland at best.

Most reactions

Back