What is this technique?

This is called using good gear properly and having PS editing skillz. :D

Understanding the mechanics of cameras and lenses, understanding light, understanding exposure, understanding posing, understanding children, and understanding post processing.

All of those pics have Depth of Field (DOF) work and HDR / Tone Mapping done in post processing.
Look HERE for DOF software (never used it myself)
And HERE for HDR / Tone Mapping (use it all the time)

First image I opened up was a Sony A7 + 135 F/2 lens.. so.. thousands of dollars in equipment other then already mentioned stuff.

This is called using good gear properly and having PS editing skillz. :D
Haha! Nice! I've been corresponding with him but nether one of us knows if there is a name for it. He mostly uses Lightroom and then touches up in Photoshop. I'm going to take his online course he offers sometime in January .

I'm seeing use of dodge/burn and vignette rather than tone mapping.

Iwona has a good sense of proportion and using dodge/burn and vignette to highlight the main subject.

IMO, many of your photos would have benefited from better use of light when the shutter was released, fill light in particular but light quality and direction too.

I'm seeing use of dodge/burn and vignette rather than tone mapping.

Iwona has a good sense of proportion and using dodge/burn and vignette to highlight the main subject.

IMO, many of your photos would have benefited from better use of light when the shutter was released, fill light in particular but light quality and direction too.
I would be willing to bet vital organs that at least half of those pictures went through Photomatix.
Some professional photographers will not readily admit to HDR or the like as they like to claim it was all done in camera.
Look at the picture of the little boy with the brown coat and admire the halo round his head. That particular image is a product of some pretty aggressive processing.

I like the poses and the child is cute but I don't care for all the smudges and smearing. Some of them look like they used the Dodge/Burn/Sponge tool in Photoshop and just kinda waved it around.........but then it could be ART and I'm not a good judge for ART!

Looking at your stuff I wonder what is the appeal of light flares in photos? In the shot with the three person family standing the faces are almost obliterated by the sun flare. That's not much of a keepsake for the family.

By the way, I'm old and conventional so take my comments with that in mind.

Last edited:

Most reactions

Back