What is wrong with this?

Lmphotos

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.lauramaephotos.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
$IMG_6511_edited-1.jpg Something is off in this picture (btw its not the post processing because I only really corrected white balance and then just subtle changes no big moves) I have an off camera flash to the upper right I believe. But the colors are just *off*. I have been having problems with using flash and skin tones and colors in my shot being off. the only thing I can think of is the sunset was too warm so maybe I should of gelled my flash? help would be appreciated.

The only thing "off" is possibly you over-thinking things, perhaps?

Its warm, because of the sun setting, but I think that looks fine here.

The only thing I noticed was, I wish her hair wasnt caught up in his hair. Other than that, I think it looks fine.

Lets see what some other say though.

Really? I have used flash and I felt I got accurate colors lately it seems as if my flash is putting this beige muted tone on all of it.

^ The photo looks really good to me, lets see what some others say...

you have some wierd shadows going on.. the key should have been farther toward camera right than it was. Or at least a reflector to help kill those shadows. The shadows are backwards to the natural lighting... shouldn't be there, makes it look odd! Her right eye looks funky because of the makeup too. The black patch between the legs looks strange also....

$ssssss.jpg

^ I just noticed the black between their legs, that does look weird.

Mods, can cgipson1 get a warning for drawing on that pretty ladies face? lmao :lol:

Color is off some -- there's a cyan tint to his shirt. Sometimes this can be a flash/laundry chemicals interaction, but I suspect not in this case as removing it improves their skin tones. Your color saturation is quite low; I'd raise it, and you don't have a single black pixel in the entire photo. Here's a side by side where I sifted away from that cyan tint till his shirt cleaned up, increased the color saturation a noticeable amount and made a Levels tweak that brought the shadows to black. I can see where the contrast increase from the Levels change made be unwanted in a portrait, but here it is for reference.

Joe

$couple.jpg

Color is off some -- there's a cyan tint to his shirt. Sometimes this can be a flash/laundry chemicals interaction, but I suspect not in this case as removing it improves their skin tones. Your color saturation is quite low; I'd raise it, and you don't have a single black pixel in the entire photo. Here's a side by side where I sifted away from that cyan tint till his shirt cleaned up, increased the color saturation a noticeable amount and made a Levels tweak that brought the shadows to black. I can see where the contrast increase from the Levels change made be unwanted in a portrait, but here it is for reference.

Joe

View attachment 38449

That is what I am looking for!!! Now how can I correct that on camera? Lately when I use flash they are all turning out this way

What make/model flash unit are you using?

Are you using Auto white balance? TTL or manual flash unit control?

For what its worth I tried an edit. I tried to lighten up the shadow under her chin and tried a couple of other things. It came out pretty close to another edit already posted, but I will post it anway.

View attachment 38455- Original

$Couple2.jpg- Edit

What WB are you shooting in? Try cloudy day... makes everything a little warmer

Original looks pretty good to me. I like it better than your last edit. I you have LR4, try the WB adjustment brush.

The only thing I see really wrong is her hair.

Your original was slightly cool, but I love the shot.

...also, you could create a custom camera profile using a ColorChecker Pro swatch chart and Profile Maker, then use the profile in your RAW processing workflow. Profile Maker automatically installs it into Lightroom. And, as mentioned, shoot a grey card. Although, I have used auto-WB, and the custom profile does the job just as well.

Most reactions

Back