What is your favorite lens?

Hmmm tough call ...

These days, since I shoot primarily birds, it's my Canon EF 400mm f/5.6L.

I like every lens I own, however.

thank you for all the help and information...man it is so hard to decide..but am I understanding that the off brands do not work as well in low light as a nikon would? I really need a great lens for the ceremony and reception. but I think it would be much easier to hold a lens than use a mono pod or tripod....does it take alot of practice to hold the 70-200 by hand? maybe I should try out the 24-70 before I purchase the 70-200.....I really want great bokeh as well though!

I hand held my 70-200 2.8 for over 3 hours shooting a football game, the first day I had it. It gets a little heavy after a while but it is VERY doable.

Photo from that game:
1036304329_XWUzi-XL-2.jpg

*Sigma 70-200 2.8, non OS, handheld. Nikon D40. (exif data: 70mm, f2.8, 1/200th, iso 1600)

As long as there is enough light to keep your shutter speed greater than the focal length of the lens (ex. - at 200mm (add in 1.5x crop factor =300mm) you need at least 1/300th of a second to avoid blur from hand holding)

If its dimmer you need a monopod, dimmer yet and you need a tripod.

ok thanks! thanks for sharing the picture!

If you plan on doing weddings I would focus on the zoom trifecta. With Canon that would be the 16-35 2.8 L (or 17-40 f/4 depending on your needs), the 24-70 f/2.8L and the 70-200 f/2.8L IS M2. For me the 24-70 f/2.8 is my favorite lens. Granted these may be somewhat different on a crop but you get the idea. I love my 24-70 not because of any one thing special that it does but simply because it is such a workhorse. The MFD means I can get so close to something that I have to take my lenshood off and can still focus on it. The focal range is the most useful of all my lenses as well.
That being said my 70-200 f/2.8 IS m2 is a close second. I handhold it almost exclusively and have done long street walks with just that lens attached. Adding a teleconverter gives me 400mm at f/5.6 and the focus still works (albeit slowly). I use the lens for everything from portraits to taking pictures of the birds in the lake behind my house. Very versatile.

Subject to background distance for the win.

My favorite lens thought I don't own it yet is definitely the Nikon 70-200 VR II, although I do rent it at least a couple days a month lol.

Nikkor 10-24.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back