What is your favorite Lens?

BasilFawlty

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Of the lenses you own, what would you say is your favorite lens for you Canon DSLR? Post a sample or two with that lens. My favorite is probably the Canon 135 EF L f2.0 prime. It's bright enough and has enough reach that I can use it at indoor rodeos (poor lighting) without the need to crank up the ISO extremely high. Plus, it gives a beautiful, creamy bokeh for closer subjects.

New Mexico State Fair Indoor Rodeo. Very poor lighting.
Rodeo2017-1.jpg

Sample of a 135mm shot with subject fairly close to demonstrate bokeh.
135Shot-0101.jpg

I had a pretty nice Canon system for about 10 years, with a good selction of lenses. I owned a couple of 50s, the 85 1.8, the 100 2.8 EF macro, the 135 mm soft focus,The excellent 135 mm F2.0 L, And the 70-200 mm F2.8 L-IS. I also had the Sigma 18 to 125 mm lens for my Canon 20D. I also had the 5D with the 24 to 105L IS USM zoom. Overall I would have to say that the 70 to 200 mm Was probably my most used lens. From a pure quality standpoint the 135 f/2 Was extremely good. But in terms of a go-to lens, one that I would reach for frequently,the 70 to 200 mm was my favorite.

My now deseced 35-350.

Second up is my Arsat 19 mm Fisheye for Kiev 88 that is mounted to my Canon system It shoots more like a 90mm and wonderful images.

I had a pretty nice Canon system for about 10 years, with a good selction of lenses. I owned a couple of 50s, the 85 1.8, the 100 2.8 EF macro, the 135 mm soft focus,The excellent 135 mm F2.0 L, And the 70-200 mm F2.8 L-IS. I also had the Sigma 18 to 125 mm lens for my Canon 20D. I also had the 5D with the 24 to 105L IS USM zoom. Overall I would have to say that the 70 to 200 mm Was probably my most used lens. From a pure quality standpoint the 135 f/2 Was extremely good. But in terms of a go-to lens, one that I would reach for frequently,the 70 to 200 mm was my favorite.

I'm sort of the same way. While the 135 F2.0 is my favorite lens, it is far from being the lens I use the most. For me, that honor would go to the trusty 24-105 L kit lens. Second most used lens for me would be the 70-200 (but I have the poor man's version - f4 non-IS)

Last edited:
My now deseced 35-350.

Second up is my Arsat 19 mm Fisheye for Kiev 88 that is mounted to my Canon system It shoots more like a 90mm and wonderful images.

I had to look that one up (the 35-350). Man, that would be a great travel lens! Wide enough for landscapes and city shots, but with plenty of reach! I didn't even realize that beast existed. What happened to yours" Is it repairable?

My now deseced 35-350.

I had to look that one up (the 35-350). Man, that would be a great travel lens! Wide enough for landscapes and city shots, but with plenty of reach! I didn't even realize that beast existed. What happened to yours" Is it repairable?
Nope.
Gone and gone.

It fell and took itself AND my 1Ds out.

So I bought a 5D.

Now I want to replace the 35-350.

I'm sort of the same way. While the 135 F2.0 is my favorite lens, it is far from being the lens I use the most. For me, that honor would go to the trusty 24-105 L kit lens. Second most used lens for me would be the 70-200 (but I have the poor man's version - f4 non-IS)

The 24-105f/4 L IS USM is one of the best all-around, all-in-one zooms I have ever used. While not "small", it's not overly large, and it is so capable! I borrowed the 70-200 f/4 L non-IS some years back. It's smallish, and really was a joy to use. The days, it's pretty affordable on the used market, and is a decent performer.

So I bought a 5D.

Still a pretty good imager, up to IS0 1,000/1,250 it's got good image quality. At ISO 800 and lower, its got really Good image quality. For $300-$375 used, the original 5D is one of the finest used d-slr values around, IMO.

Last edited:
I borrowed the 70-200 f/4 L non-IS some years back. It's smallish, and really was a joy to use. The days, it's pretty affordable on the used market, and is a decent performer.

I bought mine new from Amazon in Summer of 2013 for $629. They are selling new now for $80 less - $549. A used copy can be had in excellent condition these days for probably $400-450-ish. I have never had an issue with the lack of IS, but that's probably due to not using it much in low light situations. The thing I like about that lens is it is so light weight. It's a lens that you can easily walk around with on your camera all day and not get tired.

For a GP lens: The EF-S 18-135 for a crop camera. Great zoom range for a GP lens.

For a field sport lens: 70-200/4. Not as heavy as the f/2.8 lens, so easier to hand hold for a LONG shooting session of two sequential games.

Oh this is tough: depending on the need I will go between my 100 f2.8 macro or my 70-200 IS USM zoom. Both are equally good for their intended design.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

my FAvourite lens Is Canon 50mm

70-200/ 2.8 70-300 f/4.5-5.6 Af-S VR G are very nice lenses for outdoor Scenic photography and are also good for events and for portraiture.

Most reactions

Back