What is your favorite prime lens?

My favorite is my Canon 400mm f/5.6. (atleast out of the ones I own. ) I have been using the 35mm f/1.4L a lot lately though.

Nikon 35mm 1.8 and Sigma 85mm 1.4 ;)

There is only a 35mm f1.8 for my DX camera. I can of course use FX lenses as well (50mm f1.8 is popular), and theres 2 macro (40mm and 85mm VR) and a fisheye for DX as well.

Most desireable prime lens ? Well, then I'm kind of torn between Nikon AF DC 135mm 1:2G (best portrait lens) and Leica APO-Summicron 50mm f/2 (best lens).

P.s.: Correction: The Leica APO-Summicron 50mm f/2 is of course only the best SMALL FORMAT lens. Medium and large format probably have even better.

Last edited:
From the wording of your question I'm guessing that you want to know about which lens is our faviorite from those that we actually own or owned.

That being the case then I'd have to say my Nikon 105mm f2.5 on full frame and right up there with the Nikon 24mm f2.8 on a crop body.

One of these days I'm going to get a DC.

The Nikkor 10.5cm F2.5, Sonnar formula. I have this lens in F-Mount, Leica thread mount, Nikon S-Mount, and Contax RF mount. I also have the Planar formula lens in Ai F-Mount.

Just out of curiosity, I wanted to get some opinions on your favorite PRIME lens? :wink:

GO!

Right now, it is the Nikkor 50mm 1.4G

105mm f/2.8D Nikkor macro.

Good ole 35mm 1.8.

AF 50mm f/1.8 Nikkor, though I'm using the AF 24mm f/2.8 Nikkor more. This is both for DX and film.

snowbear said:
AF 50mm f/1.8 Nikkor, though I'm using the AF 24mm f/2.8 Nikkor more. This is both for DX and film.

Just picked up a 24mm f2.8d last week myself. Best part it uses the same size filters as my 50 1.8d so no new filters or step rings for me.

Most reactions

Back