What iso 3200 costs more?

I'm guessing here but ...

Probably because of supply & demand economics. There isn't as much demand for such a high ISO so less is made. When less is made you buy your raw materials in lower/lesser quantities, you lose the economy of scale purchasing power of more popular films, thereby the product costs more.

Additional, ISO 3200 would be considered a specialized film. Generally, you always pay more for specialized than everyday, run-of-the-mill stuff.

I suspect it's a combination of both: it's more expensive to make and it's a specialty item so production is low.

I've got a couple of rolls of Delta 3200 that I have yet to shoot.

Sadly, I've noticed all film is getting more and more expensive. The less people shooting it, the more of a "specialty" film in general is, and the more expensive.

The good news is I always had a tendency to binge when film buying, so I have enough to last a while, but I'm afraid of what will happen when I run out.

3200 is more sensitive to the storage environment and the law of supply and demand. 3200 uses larger grains, not more silver.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

It costs more because it is a bigger number, 32 times bigger it dosn't cost 32 times more than 100 so you are getting a bargain

It takes more ink to write "3200" on the box than "100," "400," etc.

Same reason 24" fluorescent lamps cost 4x more than 48" lamps.

They don't sell as many.

Wouldn't larger grains contain more silver than smaller grains?
I think it would be the opposite. I don't know that grain size can be directly compared to silver content anyway though - and modern emulsions use much less silver than older ones.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back