What job?

'Daniel'

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
I want to get a job so I have money to buy photography stuff and other stuff. This money is excess so I can buy extra stuff. I have everything I need but it's nicwe to have more. Anyway I don't want to work in a shop really like a supermarket or something.

What jobs can people think of that are interesting? I am 17 so bar work I can't do.

I want to do somethin glike work in a steelworks or blacksmith or something cool like that. Neithr of which exist near me but soemthing like that would be cool.

Can anyone think of jobs like that?

will it help if I say that I work as an.... english language teacher?? ?:p:p:p:p

What have you got training in? Have you finished school? Don't be to picky at 17. Most of us don't just fall into a great job. There are landscapers, carpenters that need grunt helpers, maybe a photolab at a store like Walmart.

Sometimes what looks cool really isn't. A blacksmith takes years to learn his trade as a steelworker does.

Not to sound mean and nasty because my spelling is pretty poor at times but brushing up on your writing and spelling skills might be a good start. A poorly spelled, poorly written job application is not going to go far.

Nothing wrong with a shop or supermarket. You meet interesting people and learn something about customer service.

fredcwdoc said:
What have you got training in? Have you finished school? Don't be to picky at 17. Most of us don't just fall into a great job. There are landscapers, carpenters that need grunt helpers, maybe a photolab at a store like Walmart.

Sometimes what looks cool really isn't. A blacksmith takes years to learn his trade as a steelworker does.

Not to sound mean and nasty because my spelling is pretty poor at times but brushing up on your writing and spelling skills might be a good start. A poorly spelled, poorly written job application is not going to go far.

Nothing wrong with a shop or supermarket. You meet interesting people and learn something about customer service.

Yup, totally correct. If you're gonna be that picky, you're gonna have a tough time. Jobs such as those in a shop or supermarket can help you out in the future...you can really hone your people skills when working with the public, and good people skills are a major plus in any job.

Honestly dude, just get a job anywhere.

I worked at McDonalds between the ages of 16-18.

a) You meet a lot of people, not just from the people you work with, but there hot friends who come in to get discounts.
b) You never really have to care about actually going to work. Like at any given time you could call in sick, and they need smart people so bad that they won't care. Unless you call in sick ALL the time. Then you're just not reliable at all.

If you want something for the extra money, maybe look into working for a pool company. I worked for one of those for two summers and it was sweet. Nice tan, get pretty ripped from the physical labour part...although...now that I think about it, you live in the UK don't you? House aren't big enough to have pools in them there.

Meh. Do whatever, you're young and it really doesn't matter. Meeting new people is key when you're young.

fredcwdoc said:

I get where you're coming form with the spelling etc but really my written English is pretty much immaculate. It's just online I type quickly and don't check over it.

True aboutt the blacksmith thing. It's not something I want a career in and I suppose any job like that you'll be doing the same unskilled jobs as anywhere sweeping etc.

I was thinking of getting a job in the box office of this arthouse(ish) cinema which might be good. I can then go and see films after I get off. I just want a bit extra cash, it's not full time or anything.

... you live in the UK don't you? House aren't big enough to have pools in them there.

Alas no. I'm sure I'll find somewhere. I might even try getting a paid job in something in the healthcare field as I plan to do medicine. Who knows I might just procrastinate for a long time and not get a job at all.

for a guy... you might think this is a bit gay .... but work somewhere fun.... and casual.

I used to work in a balloon shop and seriously it was the best job ever... apart from the working in the chocolate shop which was really the best. hehe. I loved going to work because I got to design things and be creative and decorate huge functions. My boss also treated me like an adult... even though I was only 14 when I started working there... and I only left recently - I'm now 21 - coz I had to move.

I'd say wherever you pick make sure you enjoy it... because it is your time your spending... and you aint gonna get it back.

oh also look at pay rates.

For example, retail pay rates pretty much suck here in australia... but admin jobs are relatively well paying.

I'm working as a medical receptionist now and getting paid bucket loads more than I would in a retail shop.

i worked in night clubs and bars at 16, I think it's fine (legal) as long as your not working behind the bar serving drinks. I used to collect glasses and do the cloak room, it was fun. You get to meet loads of interesting characters and see some sights!

There's always a balance between what's easy, what's fun and what pays well. Working in a bar for example, even as a glass collector/barrel changer is fun and easy but doesn't pay well.

Rob

I'm not sure your location, so I can't comment on what's there, but there are people doing ironworking/welding fab/blacksmithing just about everywhere. Start your own shop. Learn a trade at a school. Come to my school, I'll teach you how to weld. Let me know what really interests you, and maybe I can tell you what you need to do it.

Thanks for the offer but this isn't supposed to be a long term thing. I'm seventeen and will be going off to University in a year and a bit.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back