What kind of a lens to shoot flower?

tecboy

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
San Jose, Cali, The Heart of Silicon Valley
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I use a 70-300mm f/4-5.6. I'm struggling to get sharp images on the closeup flower. Do I need a macro lens? Which macro lens should I get?

The minimum focus distance for that lens is 1.2 meter (nearly 4 feet). Something so small as a flower probably would be difficult to get in focus with that lens, but it can be done in the right scenario. A macro lens would certainly make it easier. As for which, that calls into play your budget, and that isn't mentioned. Canon has a number of them. I own the EF 100MM F2.8L IS USM, and rented for a week the 65mm. The 65mm is a true macro lens, no focus - you move to/from the object to achieve focus - and has its own learning curve - but learning the techniques needed for this lens would help in any macro situation. My 100 is awesomeness and I could spend hours giving compliment after compliment about it until I get to its weight - too heavy - and that's my only complaint about it. Hope my input is helpful to you.

If you are shooting wide open, the DoF is going to decrease. Increasing the magnification will also decrease the DoF. Try closing down the aperture a bit and use a tripod when possible.

Most reactions

Back