What kind of Camera???

Manderlyn

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hi, I was wondering if anyone knew the best beginner camera??? I don't have a camera, but am looking. Any feedback would be greatly appreciated...

Thank you
:sexywink:

how much you want to spend?

The best kind of camera is the one that you can afford.

It depends on several factors: The most important being budget. Cameras can cost between $100 and $50,000+. Assuming that you want a DSLR, than you're looking at a budget of $500 - $10,000. The next consideration is what you want to do with the camera, and what kind of subjects you like to shoot. The last (but not the least important) is form factor and ergonomics. In other words, how does the camera fit your hands.

Your best bet will be to decide on a budget and head to a camera store (A real camera store, NOT a big-box store that also happens to sell cameras) and discuss options with a salesperson.

Ok, anywhere's from $100-$600 for a starter camera, I mostly want to shoot outside, nature and landscapes are my passion... thank you for your adivce... :sexywink:

Nikon D3100 14.2MP DSLR Camera With AF-S DX NIKKOR 18-55mm VR Lens Kit

I shall heartily disagree :)
The best camera for a beginner with no camera is either a Fujifilm X10 or a Canon G1x. Don't get into a DSLR unless you don't mind carrying it around.
Alternatively use an iPhone4S and learn to see the image before taking the picture.

Oh okay, I will check them all out, and see what one works best for me.... Thank you everyone... :sexywink:

chuasam said:
The best camera for a beginner with no camera is either a Fujifilm X10 or a Canon G1x. Don't get into a DSLR unless you don't mind carrying it around.
Alternatively use an iPhone4S and learn to see the image before taking the picture.
Really?

I LOVE the iPhone 4's camera and video camera, and have shot over 5,000 stills and video with mine within the past eight months. But for "outside nature and landscapes" the single focal length is a bit restrictive. For my eye, at least. The iPhone's camera functions can be supplemented by downloading different camera apps, like Camera Control Pro, which really DOES help turn the iPhone into a higher-percentage shooter. Where the iPhone falls down is in lower light; it tends to select slightly too-slow shutter speeds many times, which lead to subject motion blur; the programmed exposure control's "curve" needs some tweaking, IMHO. It ought to notch the ISO up much higher, much sooner, rather than stay at f/2.8 and 1/15 second under so,so,so,so many scenarios; it would be FAR better if it would immediately move the ISO upward to 800 to 1,000 and keep the shutter speed in the 1/60 range, as opposed to 1/15.

ABSOLUTELY! One beautifully composed meaningful picture is worth at least a hundred perfectly exposed focussed pictures of absolutely nothing. Unless of course that's what the client is paying you to do. 3 of my favourite photographers started out with a 13x18 cm wooden chamber, a Contax T3 compact 35mm camera, and another one generates absolutely beautiful images with her iPhone4S.

It's all about vision. Having a better camera means you can get better quality images but they do not mean that you will take better pictures.

It comes down to the person in the end. DSLRs are capable of much more scope for growth and features as well as quality, but on the flipside they are a much bigger investment. If you want to get serious with them you've got to buy additional lenses to cover the same ranges as what a point and shoot might cover with just its single lens. This is a choice people have to make on their own as to how far down the money hole they jump - and one should not forget that there are still budget DSLR lenses and options.

My own personal experience is that for a person willing to learn and put the time and investment into it you can certainly start with a DSLR without any prior experience in photography or a previous camera. That was the path I personally took (didn't quite expect to end up this far down the rabbit hole as a result but that was a pleasing surprise) and haven't looked back since.

The market is also a little more flexible now as there are the hybrid cameras to consider. They are like the Olympus Pen series (EP and EPL series) and the Panasonic G series. These offer DSLR-like controls and features as well as interchangable lenses, but with a much smaller camera body (the oly is pretty much like a pocket point and shoot). The advantage being smaller size and weight - though they are still not cheap bodies and can command a fairly serious price to them - just like the DSLRs.

ABSOLUTELY! One beautifully composed meaningful picture is worth at least a hundred perfectly exposed focussed pictures of absolutely nothing. Unless of course that's what the client is paying you to do. 3 of my favourite photographers started out with a 13x18 cm wooden chamber, a Contax T3 compact 35mm camera, and another one generates absolutely beautiful images with her iPhone4S.

It's all about vision. Having a better camera means you can get better quality images but they do not mean that you will take better pictures.
Sorry, I can't agree that you can narrow down a field consisting of thousands of different cameras to only two. Granted both of those are good cameras, BUT they're not for everyone. They are also somewhat limiting in that you do have the flexibility of accessories that you do with a beginner's DSLR, and because of their cost, are not as "out-growable" (My apolgoies to Oxford) as a more inexpensive camera.

I think that's it's reasonable to make the presumption that most people asking for advice on camera purchases are considering taking it at least somewhat seriously. An iPhone (or any other mobile 'phone) is just that. A telephone! It is intended for communication, NOT photography. The fact that it has a moderately decent camera built in is NOT a reason to recommend it. If you want to remove a cork, buy a corkscrew. If you want to remove a bottle-cap, buy a bottle-opener. If you want to do both, buy both tools, NOT a Swiss-Army knife!

If you want to remove a bottle-cap, buy a bottle-opener. If you want to do both, buy both tools, NOT a Swiss-Army knife!

*owns a bottle opener that also has a bottle cap opening part to it*
And it works rather well at both tasks - I think you just picked an example that didn't work so well ;)

Sorry, I can't agree that you can narrow down a field consisting of thousands of different cameras to only two. Granted both of those are good cameras, BUT they're not for everyone. They are also somewhat limiting in that you do have the flexibility of accessories that you do with a beginner's DSLR, and because of their cost, are not as "out-growable" (My apolgoies to Oxford) as a more inexpensive camera.
I started with a Canon Powershot G5 in 2003. It was fantastic and I used it alot. Then I got my first DSLR a D70s for Christmas 2005. Still used the G5 for when I needed a compact camera. Right now, I have a D700 with half a dozen lenses, flashes, pocketwizards and the works. I still have a compact camera (Lumix LX5 now). Having a good compact camera need not preclude the future usage of a DSLR. In fact, a compact camera is a great way to learn to see.

I should also argue vehemently against anyone wanting to get a DSLR as his or her FIRST digital camera. But I've already made my point. It is the camera, not the photographer.
Fujifilm X10 or Canon G1x. If you want a few more models ...Canon Powershot S100 then.

Most reactions

Back