What kind of softbox?

butterflygirl

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.photosbymcdonald.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hello all! I was just wondering your opinions - I plan on ordering my lighting set from Alien Bees today and wondered what kind of soft box you thought would be most suited as a hair light?

So far, I've decided to order four B800 and stands, two large soft boxes (32 X 40), as well as the radio flash trigger/receiver.

Should I use another large soft box with a boom arm attached for overhead lighting? Or use the giant soft box (30 X 60) ?

I just don't know! thanks for helping! :)

You could use anything really...you get a different effect from each, so it's up to you.

You could go with a snoot or the honeycomb grids, which would help you to keep the light just on the spot where you want it (the hair, for example). But if you want a nice soft light from above (good for multiple subjects)...then a softbox may be a good idea.

You could use anything really...you get a different effect from each, so it's up to you.

You could go with a snoot or the honeycomb grids, which would help you to keep the light just on the spot where you want it (the hair, for example). But if you want a nice soft light from above (good for multiple subjects)...then a softbox may be a good idea.

Thanks Big Mike - it's always so hard when there are many options! My only concern with the grids would be the light would be too harsh and only in one place. I want the light very soft and spread out across the person or people in the photo - basically to keep them from fading into the background.

I've just heard that the giant softbox is really what it says - giant. I'm not sure if I need a giant or not :sexywink: But then there are advantages as well. Bah. I guess I'm not really getting anywhere here :)

Most reactions

New Topics

Back