What kind of technique would you call this?

Mostly it was done with lighting.

The clothes were carefully placed so they had a hump from top to bottom and light from the side lit the side of the hump camera left and caused a shadow on the opposite side of the hump, camera right.
I suspect the cloth itself has a smooth surface causing a sheen from the side lighting.
Note there was also light from above that was balanced with the light from the side so the humps stood out.

Hmm.. this is such a small product though? I don't know.

The "ridge" is just too perfect to be anything but a post-capture editing trick. The "shapes" that have been inserted are exactly the same in each of the two stacks of three cloths. I think if you tried to create that effect using some little cylinders of something, you would be there a very long time trying to make them all exactly the same.

Or you could just use the computer.

Even small products are often styled,propped,lighted,and then shot with much care lavished on every detail, on every light, every reflector,every flag. Small products like say, a diamond ring or a watch, could be lighted with tremendous attention to detail. These cloths would look very plain and stodgy is they were just placed down on the shooting surface and shot with even,flat, boring lighting; the way they've been styled and lighted makes them look "dynamic", which is a pretty impressive feat considering how boring a cloth is. Anyway...the ridge? That looks more like post editing to me, rather than an actual piece of rope place underneath, but nevertheless, the photography provider has made these flat cloths look pretty desirable, and the cloths stand out, which was the goal I am sure.

That looks more like post editing to me, rather than an actual piece of rope place underneath, but nevertheless, the photography provider has made these flat cloths look pretty desirable, and the cloths stand out, which was the goal I am sure.

This is the mark of a very good product photographer; he/she has created an image that enhances the appearance of the product, therefore making it more desirable to the buying public. Even it is a small object, he has put forth the effort to do the best job he can, and that is precisely why some product photographers are worth what they charge.

object is about 7 inches shot from the top on the light box. I do not see anything special about that.

There does not appear to be anything under the fabric, as Designer said the edges are too straight and the bumps are too symmetrical for it to be anything but post editing. Probably skillful use of Photoshop "Dodge" and "Burn" brushes.

Most reactions

Back