what Laptop do i choose ?? HELP!

wwright502

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
... so I've been looking for a laptop to carry around with me to work on sessions without having to actually sit at the desk! Love my desktop at the office but the one at home has a horrible picture. I did calibrate my monitors but still the one at home sucks so I am needing advice on what laptop to choose that I really wouldn't need to purchase calibration software. I do not want an apple I hate them and they're way out of my budget...please HELP! Thank u

I have windows 7 64 bit, and shoot Nikon Raw. If you do the same, do differently than me. Bite the apple.

I don't want an apple I don't like them. I bought one and returned it and we had to use them in school for my photoshop class and I hated it then I've used a PC all my life and have no desire to purchase an apple I don't like them. So I guess my question is what laptop would u suggest .. besides apple

If you want a windows machine don't get a laptop get a desktop or at least hook up a monitor to a laptop. It is possible that your home desktop monitor/video card just aren't up to the task. There was a thread on here not too long ago about what type of monitor to get. Some consumer grade monitors are just good enough to do basic computer tasks. Back in the day when there were CRT monitors I had a chance to see a professional grade Tektronix monitor and it blew away anything that was available as a consumer grade CRT ... it also cost $1000's more than a consumer grade monitor as well.

Laptop screens are too small and you have no options if the display is not good for adjusting photos other than puting an external monitor on it.

If you're really stuck on getting a laptop I would suggest a HP, I use Dell for work and it's just OK but that could be all the company stuff that's on the computer. I bought my son a HP laptop last year and it is pretty nice but I still find the display too small.

There are no laptop LCD displays suitable for photo editing and/or photo display. I have a MAC book Pro for show, but I wouldn't actually work on it -- it sucks, as will any Windows laptop you look at.

Ours is a visual business -- you have to be able to see it! Your workstation display is your window in. If the glass in the window is warped, tinted, dirty, deformed and fogged then you're work will be warped, tinted, dirty, deformed and fogged.

I calibrated the Macbook Pro with an X-Rite i1 system and in a pinch it's arguably passable -- I don't work on it! The Macbook cost $2300.00 and the i1 cost $1100.00; that's $3400.00 (Boss paid for it - not me!) -- and it sucks! Save your pennies and get a decent display at home. In the end there's no substitute for seeing it right. Get a LaCie or Eizo display, or if the money really isn't there then go find a used Sony 19 inch CRT in good condition. No one is making a laptop for photo editing.

Joe

If you can spend 1200-1600, go with the Asus G73JH. Quad core I7 processor, 1080p HD screen, ATI 5870 video card ( very very good ) 8gb of ram ( for ALL of your multitasking needs ) I have one, I love it, its fast and I can multitask like a CHAMP.
Great deal for the specs.

all aside I would get a dell or a toshiba or asus anything that is not hp or owned by hp. That just my opinion though anything i have had hp has sucked donkey balls and has broken within the first couple months.

Everyone is going to have their own opinion about what computer/software to use. I think the best thing would be to ask yourself what your budget it, do some research, and make the choice that makes the most sense to you:thumbup:

My mobile needs are satisfied with a tiny Acer Ferrari One 200, as for home i use an iMAC.

... so I've been looking for a laptop to carry around with me to work on sessions without having to actually sit at the desk! Love my desktop at the office but the one at home has a horrible picture. I did calibrate my monitors but still the one at home sucks so I am needing advice on what laptop to choose that I really wouldn't need to purchase calibration software. I do not want an apple I hate them and they're way out of my budget...please HELP! Thank u

You cant calibrate a monitor which is on its way out or a cheapo without controls, use the money for a decent monitor for the desktop, working on sessions on a lappy is a no no. H

Is it the actual mac you dont like or just the OS? Because I guess you could always get a mac and partition a hard drive with windows on it :)

Otherwise though, just get something with at least 4g of ram, nice fast processor and good graphics card. I wouldnt worry too much about hard drives to be honest. Just use external ones :D

Most reactions

New Topics

Back