What lead you to photography ...

MrBob

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I'm curious to hear how others got started with photography.

My first passion lies with music. I've been playing guitar for years and am in a band. I started photography because I wanted to capture live performances from musicians and artists, so music lead me to taking photos. It ties together two things I love and I can enjoy them both at the same time.

Your turn ...

Sorry, I'm a little new, I think I posted this in the wrong section ...

You're fine in this section and welcome to TPF!

For me, I took a photography course in high school and loved it then. I did my own black and white processing and printing and it was a great experience. After having my children I started taking more photos and it became pretty obvious that photographing children was my passion. That eventually led me to start a business and right now my focus is on weddings, children and family portraits. I consider my photography business to be part time and I love the chance to get out and help capture memories for other people. I've thought about making it into a more full time career but I worry that if it's all I did for "work" it would lose the fun.

I never wanted to say that I couldnt remember the important silent moments from my life.

MrBob said:
I'm curious to hear how others got started with photography.

Ooohh Good question.
I would have to say that this website has been my biggest push into going into photography. I've always liked it and had it around me because my Dad used to take photos and write articles for some fishing magazines. I've always had a camera in my hands, I think I got my first one when I was 6. But I've never really cared about the quality of the snaps before. I've only developped one roll of B&W film myself about 5 years ago now and looooved it and that got the ball rolling for me.

But I didn't go into photography first... I went into image editing. At first I didn't care about taking pictures I just wanted to learn how to manipulate them. So when I was about 17 I got my hands on a copy of Photoshop and just started playing with photos I'd already taken.
Then I came to Europe and took hundreds and hundreds of photos, but when I showed them to people they just went "yeah... ok.. whatever". So I started to want to take better photos then and I eventually found this forum. Now when I show people my pics to my friends they (sometimes) go "Ooohhh that's puurrty".

So basically I've always done it, but just people lack of interest in my pics (and also my own dissapointment with them) got me wanting to do better.

I'm not really quite sure when the love for photography clicked. Ever since I was little I was camera happy, but never paid much attention to it. I got into drawing instead. Never really knew much about the difference between a point and shoot and an actual photography camera until I took that class in highschool, only a few months ago. (It was last semester.) I really loved the darkroom and capturing images and I looked up to all those famous old photographers like Friedlander, Karsh, Laughlin Mapplethorpe, etc.
But now I'm taking this class that puts me into a photography studio full of digital cameras at my disposal and I'm loving it. :D So my photography career is pretty fresh, but the more pictures I take, the more I like it. :3

i started in highschool, and it just seemed to cling on to me.... all i did was shoot the assignments that the teacher gave me... now i shoot the assignments that the art director gives me.. i do mostly studio product, editorial, and location portraiture.... all that started from high school...unmazing!

For as long as I can remember I have enjoyed attempting to capture what I find beautiful and inspiring, and share with others the beauty I see in things, whether it be with a pencil and a piece of paper, paints and brushes, various sculpting tools and a piece of wood, or a camera. I have always enjoyed taking pictures, but never really got into it seriously until just recently. What first got me into photography was the need to take pictures of my sculptures for my website and for sending in to shows for jurying purposes. Then I started a camera with me when I went on hikes so that I could get pictures of interesting things I saw to use as reference for a future sculpture or painting, and once in a while a photo would come out good enough for more than just reference material. I started finding out that I really enjoyed it and started getting more serious about it and eventually bought a better camera (I started out with the cheapest digital point and shoot that would do the job) and started learning more about it (through books from the library), and eventually I took a few of my better pictures to a show along with my sculptures and paintings, and entered them in a few competitions. And that was last year, so I am still pretty new at it, but really enjoying it. :)

David

I'm Chinese... do I have a choice? :p :D

shrug, I just like capturing pretty scenery :)

I had always liked taking pictures at a very young age and around the age of 12 began playing around with my dad's old SLR he never used. I don't remeber a lot after that, I did photography on and off, nothing serious. I think I was becoming more interested in photography as a serious hobby this year and than became totally involved in it once I saw the documentary "War Photographer". Most of that is because it showed how photography can have a purpose and convey something more than just a picture.

Most reactions

Back