What lens and what DSLR?

EchoingWhisper

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I am a beginner, I have read guides for a year now, and I will be shooting Travel, Family, Food (or some other close ups) and very little portrait.
My budget would be around $1200.

What DSLR should I get?
I want a cropped-sensor body. I don't need much megapixels. I need a DSLR with dynamic range, low light performance, color depth and image quality similar to D7000.
2 of most preferable bodies are D7000 and D5100
Here in Malaysia, I can almost get 2 D5100 for a D7000.
What should I get?
D7000 is actually better - it's faster, it's stronger, has more memory card slots, better battery, weather sealed, better autofocus, better viewfinder.
D5100 is cheaper and better for video.
I don't need video much though, I might not need better autofocus as I will try to learn to focus manually.

What lens should I get?
I want a zoom lens. I will need a bit wide angle and a bit macro. Is the kit lens 18-55mm VR enough? I will not need much telephoto because I don't take much pictures too far away, and if I need to, I could always crop it out in Photoshop.

Why start ANOTHER thread questing which dslr to get? :thumbdown:

Now it is lens, I just wanted to know what lens should I choose. And while asking what lens should I choose, I thought I could add in what DSLR should I choose.

My advice is the same as it was in your other thread.

I've been playing with one of these...seriously.

snipped.png

EchoingWhisper said:
I decided to get D7000 and its kit lens.

You should have got the body by itself and a better lens. The 18-105 (I'm guessing) isn't anything to rave about.

Yes. It is not really that good. What do you suggest? The lens should be around $200 and not a prime.

Why not a prime? After purchasing a D90 and 18-200mm glass, I found out that I really want a 50mm f1.4. I am saving for it. I wish I had bought it first. Most experienced people here would tell you go get a 35mm or 50mm prime.

75mm (50mm on FX) isn't really good. I can't take group pictures.

After some reading, I remembered that I can stitch photos into panoramas... But... Still neh, I need the wide-angle part of the 18-105mm lens. Thanks for all your suggestions! I will opt to buy 50mm F:1.8 after I buy the D7000 and the kit lens.

Since I'm going with D7000, the price is the main problem.

Most reactions

Back