What lens do you recommend (photo journalism)

aarongbuk

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hey all,

Hope everyone is having a fantastic day!

I currently own a Canon 600D with 70-200mm f4 L, 50mm fixed f1.8 (Nifty), and the standard 18-55mm kit MK II.

I will be working in photojournalism, mainly politics and sport, and would like to know what lens you think would be a good all rounder to replace the 18-55mm.

I think for sport the 70-200 is good however I feel a 200-400 may be a good investment, but for now the 70 to 200 will have to do ;-)

For political rallies, speeches Id think the 70-200 a good choice, but what should I use for "on the go" stuff... where possibly i'd be close up or things are moving quickly like protests etc?

Thanks in advance everyone :)

I have a 17-40 L and love it. The image quality of it is awesome. If you have a higher budget you can also get a 24-70 L. Both are great lenses and would replace the 18-55 nicely.

The 24-70 is the "faster glass" so it would b good for things up close that are moving quickly like you say you want to shoot

I would suggest a decently priced midrange telezoom... Like the Tamron AF 28-75mm f/2.8 SP.

Interesting... I didn't know they made that lens. I used a Tamron 24-70 f/2.8 VC a few weeks ago, and I liked it quite a bit. The VC is sort of nice, especially given that Canon's own 24-70 doesn't have IS yet. Canon's 17-55 f/2.8 is also very well-liked on the wide end for cropped-sensor Canon bodies.

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
On a crop sensor I have the Canon EF-S 15-85mm f3.5-5.6 and love it. It would give a larger focal range and excellent Image Quality - It is an amazing lens.

However the Canon EF-S 17-55 f/2.8 would likely be better indoors. If you are indoors a lot I would say the Canon 17-55 f/2.8; if mostly outdoors then have a look at the Canon EF-S 15-85mm. It would also be a good choice.

I have the 17-55 on my camera 80% of the time. great lens
I've used my dad's 15-85 and really like that too.
Either would be a great 'walk around' lens, depending on your budget.

As far as sports go... what's your budget?
tele zooms get very expensive

Most reactions

Back