What lens filters to get?

danpeikes

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I am trying to figure out which filters to buy. I am shooting a Cannon T5 primarily with the kit 18-55mm lens that is came with. Most of my pictures are of food for my blog. I generally us a setup with 3 lights that look like this with fairly white CFL bulbs (sorry don't have the exact color temp handy):
0369060c-0891-4a5a-9510-acebc190241f_400.jpg

TIA,
Dan

P.S. if you recommendations for a different bulbs I should be using please let me know

Why are you looking for a filter? I really don't think you need any…

primarily to protect the lens and hopefully to improve the quality of my pictures.

most filters don't protect the lens very good - the hood does a better job.

That's also what the sales people tell you when they sell you cheap filters that degrade the quality of your lens.

primarily to protect the lens
I bet you don't photograph food in inclement weather outside, where a protective filter may be useful. Lenses really don't need protection; the front-element glass is really durable, even on cheap lenses.

and hopefully to improve the quality of my pictures.
No filter will do that. Lenses are designed to give the best image quality possible in their package—adding anything to the front can only degrade it, never improve it.

Filters are used for special purposes, to do things you can't do otherwise. For anything else, don't bother with filters.

I don't do food photos but have heard that polarizing filters can help the food to look better.
Personally I haven't used other than a polarizing filter or a neutral density filter since Photoshop came along.

I do worry about the lens getting dirty/greasy from airborne food particles.

I do worry about the lens getting dirty/greasy from airborne food particles.
If you are adamant on getting one, Then you would want to get a HIGH Quality filter such as this ==> 66-1001700

Keep in mind, you'll still have to clean the filter if it gets dirty.
Or make sure you put the lens cap on when you are not taking a photo.
and make sure food is not splattering while taking photos.

FYI, is there is that much grease in the air while you are taking photos, you may want to protect your camera and lens too.

primarily to protect the lens and hopefully to improve the quality of my pictures.
A filter will reduce the quality and they can cause more damage to your lens if you knock it or drop it
Really? I was taught when I took photo 1 in undergrad (on film) many moons ago that a filter was important in case you drop your camera. Also we doing a lot of shooting outdoors so a UV filter was recommended.

FILM is often very sensitive to ultraviolet....digital sensors are not. There is no ultraviolet hazing with a digital sensor.

Filters break EASILY. Lens fronts are tough as nails. Watch this video, and be prepared to have a couple of old folk tales proven untrue.

The tests begin at the 7:44 mark.

A filter will reduce the quality and they can cause more damage to your lens if you knock it or drop it
Really? I was taught when I took photo 1 in undergrad (on film) many moons ago that a filter was important in case you drop your camera. Also we doing a lot of shooting outdoors so a UV filter was recommended.
I never used filters when I shot digital why spend thousands on L lenses then put some thin piece of cheap glass in the way, but now I have gone backe to 99% film I sometimes use filter for better contrast

I get circular polarizing filters and NDF and GNDF filters. Otherwise, I completely agree with the points about it being a piece of plastic or cheap glass at the end of your lens AND the lens not benefiting from that protection. I can think of only one instance where I might put a cheap UV filter on the end of my lens...if I was shooting a color run. Even with your camera in a sleeve or baggie, the risk of colored dust particles is so great, I'd put on a cheap filter and then probably throw it away at the end of the day.

Now, for shooting food? Nope--no filter. I'd learn how to set custom white balance though and maybe get something to help with that (grey card, expo disc, etc.).

After seeing that link Derrel provided, I want to go out into pull barn and destroy something....

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

After seeing that link Derrel provided, I want to go out into pull barn and destroy something....

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk
You can destroy your lens' IQ just by stacking a couple UV filters on it and taking a photo into the sun. :)

Most reactions

Back