What Lens For My D7000?

Adamrb

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I've had a D7000 for a couple of weeks after not using a SLR for 18 years. It has been fun learning how to use it but I don't like any of the lenses I have for it. I have an old circa 1980 telephoto lens and an old 50mm lens. Recently I got a Nikon 18-55 which I like the quality of the pictures way more than the old lenses WHEN they are in focus. Hate the focus ring on the new lens so I just returned it. So what lens do you guys think I will be happy with? I would like to be able to shoot wildlife, landscapes and every day shots. I prefer to shoot mostly in manual mode.

Think I'm going to end up getting the 35mm 1.8......

For wildlife get the Nikon 70-300mm VR
For everyday got the Nikon 18-105mm VR
For Low light and portraits I recommend the 50mm 1.8G
The 35mm 1.8G is good for night photography and landscape but not so much for portraits

The 18-105mm VR is very well priced and is a good everyday, walk around lens.
You can do landscape and even portrait with it.

You didn't gave us price range so I recommended you with the newbie/amateur lenses, they are good but not pro lenses, pro lenses will cost you 1K+ for every lens.
Last advise is consider getting your lenses used, if you look at the lenses on my list you will see ALL my lenses were bought used either through ebay or kijiji.

Good luck.

He could opt for AF-D lenses too to save on the higher priced G lenses

I'd probably start with a 50mm 1.8 AF-D lens
then a general lens like the 18-105 VR
then try a 85mm 1.8 AF-D lens

The problem is the 18-105 becomes so convenient to use because of it's range that the primes aren't used much, until you learn how to use them and why.

It depends upon your budget too.
I'm saving up for a 80-200 /2.8 AF-D because it's fast but doesn't totally kill the wallet like an AF-S version and great for wildlife and sports from what I hear. But much more $$$ than he standard consumer lens with a variable slower aperture.

Even with the primes I have 24, 50, 85 I still use the 18-105 ALOT for general usage.
You can't beat the 18 for landscape since using 2.8 on the 24 doesn't make sense for landscape and doesn't have the width of the 18.
there is a 18mm /2.8 AF-D but that pushes $700+ for a good copy.

I'd actually say use a 18-105 for a while to learn more about the camera before venturing into other lenses for other uses.

but a 35 would be a great start nonetheless as you will have the ability to learn alot about the aperture. I learned alot when I got my 50/1.8 (2nd lens).

a 16-85vr and a 50 1.8g would be great on your D7000!

He could opt for AF-D lenses too to save on the higher priced G lenses
Yep the D lenses are great lenses and great value, I have 2 D type lenses and love them.
a 16-85vr and a 50 1.8g would be great on your D7000!
Absolutely agree but the 16-85mm VR is an expensive lens even used so if he can afford it then its a better lens then the 18-105mm VR, still the 18-105mm VR is a great lens for its price.

Also been checking out the 28mm. Am I really going to get the best IQ out of the 18-105 for landscapes as I would with the fixed? I have been thinking I will need the 28 or 35 and a zoom.

Just got the 28mm- 1.8 It is sharp as a tack. Great rating on DP Reviews. Good lens for FX and DX.
Got mine 500.00 used on eBay. Like new. Later Ed

I've got my D7000 for 2.5 years now. For 1.5 years I only used my 18-105 but then things got serious and without a big budget I started buying used lenses. I'm using a 50 f/1.8D, 17-55 f/2.8 and 80-200 f/2.8 AF-D. My wife use the 50 alot because it so light, I only use it for the arty shots at weddings and 'makro' stuff. I just love my 2 heavy lenses (17-55 & 80-200). I would have prefered to get a 35 f/1.8G for the 'normal' human eye view for just a walk around lens, it will be my next. After that I will get a Tokina 11-16 f/2.8 DX and later a proper true mikro lens, maybe a 85 or 105.

As previously said, my kit lens 18-105 is great but it has a plastic mount. You can even look at the 18-135(140) or 18-200 (I'm not sure now if those are metal mount).

Enjoy your D7000, it is a great camera!

Last edited:
Just got the 28mm 2.8D on ebay. I will probably get the 18-105 or 200 as well. I should wait for monetary reasons but I probably won't lol

Not recomended to get the 18-200mm its a great range but the payment is that its not a very sharp lens so if good pictures is your priority then dont get it, if you want one lens to carry to do it all and sharpness is not so important then by all means get it.

Most reactions

Back