What lens i should get....

Yes the Marktwo is a Very good lens,but the new f/4 Version with the image stabilizer is a really good lens, and is much smaller and lighter, and easier to carry. I personally don't see much value in the lens that is only F2.8, when canon has extremely fast f/1.2 F1.4 and F1.8 and F2 prime lenses, in the 85 mm, 100 mm, and 135 mm lengths. The primes are incredibly sharp, and pretty light, and affordable. I personally was never really that thrilled with shooting at F2.8 and I think that most experts have come to see the F2.8 70 to 200 mm lens as somewhat of a legacy left over from the film era.

As I have grown older and more experienced, I have come to see the value of having a smaller easier to carry lens in almost all cases, and nowhere else is this more drew them with the 70 mm to 200 mm him. I sold both my Nikon and my Canon 70 to 200 F2.8 lenses, and I've gone to more of the prime centric lineup, and an older 80 to 200 F/4 constant aperture manual focus Lens from the 1980s

I think if you want a lens for low light conditions, you're better off with a really really fast aperture prime lens, which will be even better at F2.8 than any zoom ever made.

For day trips I think a light weight 70 to 300 mm zoom is actually preferable to a 70 to 200 F2.8 or 70 mm to 200 mm F4. It sounds as if you want to buy this lens in the F2.8 version, and it would urge you to strongly do some more research and look into the merits of the F4 version. Specifically I think you should search around the Kirk Tuck blog. He has access to pretty much any gear that he wants, and he is one of the leading proponents of the smaller and lighter 70 to 200 f/4 as opposed to the much bigger and heavier and more cumbersome F/2.8 models. He has repeatedly written that at the end of the day he shoots better with the smaller and lighter lens.

Damn thanks Darel !

So it’s funny you say that about the 1.4 and 1.2 85mm. I’ve seen and heard that the 85mm 1.2 is like a dream lens for most. Even the 50mm 1.2. Although fixed prime, still incredible quality. That’s why it’s a toss up for me between the EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS III USM, or the 50mm 1.2 or 85mm 1.2...

I'd say either the Canon 24-70mm f2.8 or the Canon 70-200mm f2.8. Depends on how much room in your dojo. If you shoot at the long end of your 24-105mm then it'd be ok. A lot of places I trained in the 70-200mm would have been too long.

I'd say either the Canon 24-70mm f2.8 or the Canon 70-200mm f2.8. Depends on how much room in your dojo. If you shoot at the long end of your 24-105mm then it'd be ok. A lot of places I trained in the 70-200mm would have been too long.

It seems like the 24-70 is super popular right now. The Mark ii that is. Ugh. Lenses are so damn expensive ! You trained Jiu jitsu? If so you know what I’m lookin at. My Instagram is gorillajjitsu

I disagree on going long. Long lenses are not versatile. When I shoot my kids BJJ, my 24-70 works great. It was my first expensive lens over five years ago, and to this day, still my most used. It’s great for walking around town (24 is a great wide focal length) and for portraits, the 70 offers gorgeous compression. It’s fast to focus too and super tough....mine has been dropped/slammed in the mud, hit with frisbees, rained on....you name it!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I disagree on going long. Long lenses are not versatile. When I shoot my kids BJJ, my 24-70 works great. It was my first expensive lens over five years ago, and to this day, still my most used. It’s great for walking around town (24 is a great wide focal length) and for portraits, the 70 offers gorgeous compression. It’s fast to focus too and super tough....mine has been dropped/slammed in the mud, hit with frisbees, rained on....you name it!

Ahhh thank you! Yea my good friend just bought a 24-70 used and it’s the first gen of it. It seemed pretty convenient when we went to shoot in downtown LA. Doing bjj and portraits has been fun but I’ve got back into the landscape swing of things again and that’s whats making me think “is there An all around lens for EVERYTHING?” Lol.

But yea I’m thinking I’ll get the mark 2 of this lens POSSIBLY. It’s just so risky making a decision with that money. 4 months from now I’ll have enough to buy whatever one i want Pretty much but have to make the right decision. Just want a good lens for portraits and bjj and pretty much anything.

Ahhh thank you! Yea my good friend just bought a 24-70 used and it’s the first gen of it. It seemed pretty convenient when we went to shoot in downtown LA. Doing bjj and portraits has been fun but I’ve got back into the landscape swing of things again and that’s whats making me think “is there An all around lens for EVERYTHING?” Lol.

But yea I’m thinking I’ll get the mark 2 of this lens POSSIBLY. It’s just so risky making a decision with that money. 4 months from now I’ll have enough to buy whatever one i want Pretty much but have to make the right decision. Just want a good lens for portraits and bjj and pretty much anything.

I have the second version. It’s definitely a lens for everything! I’ve taken some gorgeous landscapes with mine.... check out my Flickr or ig!

Imo this lens is not a risk, you will LOVE it

edit to add, quickly grabbed a few of my fave shots from this past year from the 24-70...tried to include a lot of variation. (these are personal pics, but I use this lens at almost every session too)
2019_0132.jpg

Last edited:
If you're in America then places like B&H and Adorama are popular online along with places like Amazon. In general its a big enough product that most major retailers that sell cameras will sell it so shop around. That said remember that camera gear doesn't have huge margins on sales so if you find any prices way below the general then be cautious. It could be a scam, a switch and bait or a grey import that isn't declaring itself as such

Note grey importing isn't illegal and Canon will at least repair lenses in different territories to where they are sold from (though any warranty will only be honoured in the original country/region of source).

I'll also second the suggestion, the 70-200mm range is amazingly versatile and its a good solid workhorse for many photographers in sports, portraits, landscapes - just about anything its got a use.

I just Want to be able to buy from canon Incase something happens to it they will take it and fix it. Buy something from Newegg or Adorama and something happens you’re ****ed haha.
Adorama sells Canon products. I’ve had only great experience with them, including going the extra mile when I couldn’t find the paperwork I needed for a repair under an extended warranty.

Canon will take any canon product for repairs as long as it’s a legit serial number. I have bought stuff from amazon, b+h, local camera store, etc.

I have the 70 200 f4 1st gen that is very good.

I have the second version. It’s definitely a lens for everything! I’ve taken some gorgeous landscapes with mine.... check out my Flickr or ig!

Imo this lens is not a risk, you will LOVE it

edit to add, quickly grabbed a few of my fave shots from this past year from the 24-70...tried to include a lot of variation. (these are personal pics, but I use this lens at almost every session too)View attachment 178731

Amazing! I’m “gorillajjitsu” on Instagram! Add me and shoot me a message! Looking forward to seeing your work! I just Took some shots of my wife and kids yesterday and Knott’s Berry farm. Some with the 24-105 and some with the nifty 50.

It seems like the 24-70 is super popular right now. The Mark ii that is. Ugh. Lenses are so damn expensive ! You trained Jiu jitsu? If so you know what I’m lookin at. My Instagram is gorillajjitsu

Yeah, I did Shotokan Karate for a long time then on and off with Jujitsu for a few years after. I'm in the UK though so I'm familiar with the venues used for training, there's not often dedicated space and a lot of church halls, community centres etc. Not places with good light.

Derrel said it right!

Ive since ( since obtaining 70-200) tossed my nifty 50. I also use the 24-105. Id rather move ma feet and shoot the 70-200!

How much did you spend on your 70-200? And is the the 4? Or the 2.8 ?

2400 CAN or so. Im sure it was $800 or so off, Id never buy that stuff full price, Canon has half its gear on sale or sold out at any given time.
My lens is Canon 70-200ii IS. I don't regret it. Brought it to Disney World twice version iii is on now for 2400 also. Canadian dollar ( loonies) here.

check out the Canon EF 50 mm F/1.4. It is a solid performer at a fair price .

Most reactions

Back