What Lens? My Turn!

Light Artisan

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Website
www.lightartisan.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I'm debating on my next lens and can't make up my mind, usually I have no trouble knowing what I 'need' more but I'm struggling with this one.

I typically shoot wildlife with my 70-200 (teleconverter is on my list but not high on the priorities right now).

I also enjoy doing portraits, but have a very capable Sigma 18-50 f/2.8 HSM Macro for that and landscapes. As well as a Nikon 50mm f/1.4D (again, portraits), but I find the 50mm an odd focal length.

The lenses I'm struggling with are the Nikon 85mm f/1.8D and the Tokina 11-16 f/2.8. There are quite a few times I wish I had something wider in the areas I go in the wild as well as right downtown.

I know it's my call, and I've scoured flckr for samples, groups, etc to try and help push me one way or the other, so what do you say? Similar stories, experiences, find one not as useful as you originally planned?

Well, the 85mm focal length is already covered by the 70-200mm zoom, but you don't have anything wider than 18mm. What is your reasoning for the 85mm? Do you need the larger aperture? Some people say 85mm is an odd focal length on crop-sensor bodies.

The same answer everyone gets for this question: the best one you can afford in the focal length that you need.

This thread is helping, thanks everyone.

As far as the 85mm goes, my family says that I'm too 'in their face' when doing photos of them with it. I feel like the 85mm could be more multipurpose than the 50mm.

I hear no end of good things about the 11-16.

Agreed... sounds like a fun lens once you get used to how you need to shoot with it.

Out of interest as well as the Tokina you could also consider the sigma 8-16mm - widest you can go with crop sensor and I've read some really good reviews/opinions on this lens. About its only weakness is that you'll have to wait for Lee filters to make a custom filter holder for it (they've already one for the nikon "no filter" lens so its only a matter of time); though if you look around online there are a few custom options to fit filter holders to the lens.

Good point, almost forgot about the wiiiiiiiiiiiide Sigma... I did just place the order for the Tokina, but I'll enjoy the f/2.8 more than the 3mm on the wide end I think, although that would be a really fun lens to play with!

Thanks for all the input everyone!

Most reactions

Back