What lens recommend to buy

Sunrise2000

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Hello, I'm new in this forum and photography. I have Nikon D3200 - first my DSLR camera. I have 18-105mm and 50mm/1.8 lens. I orientate into portraits, fashion, party, wedding photography.

For example, for me most beautiful photos looks like this:

1. Linas Dambrauskas Photography

2. Linas Dambrauskas Photography

3. wedding

4. www.linasdambrauskas.com... - Linas Dambrauskas Photography | Facebook

Question, what lenses were taken these attached photos?

I tried with my 50mm lens but when I shoot from distance, as a result people are smaller than in these attached photos.

Thanks for answers and advice.

Last edited:
Firstly I am not sure what lens or camera, chances are it's a full frame cam.

Be careful with tpf rules, if these aren't your photos you should post a link rather than a photo.

If you practice different positions with your zoom 18-105 lens you might figure out a focal length that gives the look you want. In good light that lens might be enough, but likely you'll want more control over dof with a faster lens.

If the people are smaller, get closer!

The second picture is taken with a wide angle lens which we can see by the leaning column on the right.

To be honest, these are not particularly good pictures to be inspired by.

Thanks for reply. OK, in the future I'll send your a link, not a photos if these are not mine. Thanks for a note.

John, what photos (wedding) are good for you? Give me a examples please.

What is wrong with these:
#1 lass is too central and too small
#2 the happy couple are separated by the column and she looks to be cross with him - she is looking away from him instead of adoringly at him. I also would have straightened the two columns at the sides.
#3 the couple are almost out of the picture
#4 part of her train is missing at he bottom and the sky is dark and foreboding. I would have tried to lighten the sky - given the sunshine, it looks add if the photographer has gone out of his to get a dramatic sky.

#2 the happy couple are separated by the column and she looks to be cross with him - she is looking away from him instead of adoringly at him. I also would have straightened the two columns at the sides.
#4 part of her train is missing at he bottom and the sky is dark and foreboding. I would have tried to lighten the sky - given the sunshine, it looks add if the photographer has gone out of his to get a dramatic sky.

Thanks for notes. Maybe you can show examples (link or upload here) of wedding photos which by your opinion is good with all aspects?

Question, what lenses were taken these attached photos?

I tried with my 50mm lens but when I shoot from distance, as a result people are smaller than in these attached photos.
Greetings!

It looks to me as if they were taken with a fairly wide angle lens. After you capture the image, crop to enhance the composition and emphasize the subject.

Thanks for notes. Maybe you can show examples (link or upload here) of wedding photos which by your opinion is good with all aspects?
'fraid not. I have no wedding photos of my own and not Inclined to trawl the net for them. I was more concerned that you are being inspired by poor pictures when there is a wealth of good pictures out there to be inspired by.

'fraid not. I have no wedding photos of my own and not Inclined to trawl the net for them. I was more concerned that you are being inspired by poor pictures when there is a wealth of good pictures out there to be inspired by.

What wedding photographer is best for your eyes?

For event photography like wedding there are different approaches for what lenses to use but most that I see in this field including me is to use mainly 2 lenses
24-70mm 2.8
70-200mm 2.8
It covers 90% of my needs, in event photography I only add most of the time 50mm 1.8 in case of extreme low light situation.
I also will use 12-24mm but that's only once in a blue moon.

At this point I probably wouldn't worry about getting more lenses, not just yet. Work with what you have and do some research into the exposure triangle.

Read about and test out yourself things like aperture and how it influences DOF (Depth of field) and the final result you see in the picture. You can produce some pretty good photographs with the equipment you already have on hand.

The reason I'd recommend you go this route is that once you've mastered some of the basics, that's the time to start asking yourself, ok, what are my current lenses not doing for me and thus what do I need for my next lens?

Until then I and others could recommend almost anything based on how we shoot - but really the important question is what is going to work best for what you shoot? Honestly you won't be able to answer that question till you work with the equipment you have a bit more and understand it's limitations.

You have a crop sensor camera so what you actually have, when you apply the 1.5 crop factor, is a 75mm prime and a 27mm - 158 mm zoom. This should cover 95% of what you are interested in, i.e. portraits, weddings, etc. I would practice with what you have and read up on composition and lighting. There are a lot of videos and articles online. Here is one source I have learned a lot from sponsored by B&H Photo.

Useful photography and videography seminars from B&H - YouTube

Most reactions

Back