What lens should I get for a 300mm?

snapsnap1973

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I like to take pictures of birds in flight sometimes, although of course I'm very new to photgraphy and really don't get it that much yet. Anyways, I got a nice D3200 for Xmas and it came with 2 NON VR lenses and I have no complaints, but I would like a little more reach sometimes. Of course it came with the 18-55 and the 55-200mm lenses.

I'd like to get maybe a 70-300mm, but something that Ken Rockwell said was not to duplicate lens ranges or something similar. Is there a lens that goes from 200-300mm?

What's a good cheap (money-wise) lens that goes out to around 300mm? I would think it should also be VR out at that zoom. Am I correct?

1. Forget everything that Ken Rockwell says.
2. The 70-300 AF-S VR is, dollar for dollar, one of the nicest inexpensive lenses you can buy.
3. The 55-200 is, in my personal opinion, a pretty poor lens and I'd rather have the 70-300 ANY day.
4. I have the 70-300 and love it. I have the 55-200 and don't even know where it is nor do I miss it.
5. 300mm is what I consider to be the MINIMUM length for shooting birds. 500mm is much better, 600mm better still.

Another even less expensive good option is the Tamron 70-300mm vc. Opinion is divided as to whether the Nikon or tamron is better, so much so that I believe either is good enough. I had it in Canon mount, it's a nice lens

Ken Rockwell is comparable to Satan. He speaks in Half-Truths. 90% subjective conjectured babble drabble.

Yes, a long telephoto will be expensive. If you are really into wildlife, spend the $ on the good glass for you will soon outgrow the body but the glass is forever. Good long glass is $thousand$ - buy used and you will always retain your resale value.

Lenses can be very expensive yes, but you don't always need to go for the best or newest. If it's a hobby set a budget and research your best option in that budget. It's easy to drop 5000 on a lens, but it's possible to get great photos with a 500 dollars lens, just keep expectations realistic

If you are going for bif then VR isn't much of a concern, you'll be shooting at higher shutter speeds so you will be turning VR off anyways. The 70-300 is a nice starter lens for birds, from there you have everything else going for a minimum of $1000. The Sigma and Tamron 150-600 lenses are a great way to go long for short money.

Remember VR/OS/IS works only to counter shake in the camera and lens and has no effect on the motion of a subject. Subject motion is dealt with only by the shutter speed alone.

Now the theory for handholding is 1/focal length of the lens = slowest shutterspeed you can hand hold at and get a sharp shot.

Eg for a 50mm lens it would be 1/50sec. For a 70-300mm zoom at 200mm it would be 1/200sec

Now this assumes good standing posture, good fitness and low fatigue and is only a rough guideline. Some people will be able to hold at far slower shutter speeds and others will need faster ones. In addition the weight and size of a lens has a big impact. You see VR on a lot of longer focal length and big lenses because whilst you can handhold them their weight makes it increasingly difficult. A heavy 600mm f4 is technically possible at 1/600sec but unless you're very fit chances are you'd want to be shooting faster than that to avoid handshake.

For action (eg wildlife) I'd generally say 1/640sec is the slowest speed for capturing motion - 1/500sec in a pinch but you run a risk at that speed of introducing more blur from moving limbs and fur/feathers. Bird wings are much faster and you're well up into the upper limits of your shutter speed for them frozen (unless the wingbeat is at a slow point in its motion of course - and indeed it varies - eagle wings move a lot slower than bluetit ones).

Sorry guys, but I'd NEVER spend $1000 on a lens! I've been playing classical guitar for 20+ years and I won't even spend $3000 on a guitar, I'm still happily playing my $1000 one for years. If I were rich I'd spend $1000 for a lens, but no way I'd do that right now, I'm not that much into photography. Heck $500 would be a lot for a lens for me at this point.

Heck, I even took a couple bird photos with my Canon Sony Cybershot 10x zoom a couple years ago, that I like, maybe others would'nt like them, but I didn't need $1000 lens for that.

I'll have to upload it here, I got a nice bald eagle in flight here in Maine I think last year in Yarmouth I believe. I'm proud of the picture and it's at least pretty clear and he's in flight. I'll try and upload it tonight.

Here's a nice picture with a 70-300mm lens!
Bird [Nikon D7000] [Nikkor AF-S VR Zoom 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6G IF-ED] | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

Last edited:
Sorry guys, but I'd NEVER spend $1000 on a lens! I've been playing classical guitar for 20+ years and I won't even spend $3000 on a guitar, I'm still happily playing my $1000 one for years. If I were rich I'd spend $1000 for a lens, but no way I'd do that right now, I'm not that much into photography. Heck $500 would be a lot for a lens for me at this point.

Nothing to be sorry about :)
But just remember most of us said the very same thing you just did when we got started. We said it when we got a point and shoot (don't need a fancy DSLR) and we said it when we got a DSLR (don't need no fancy lenses or flash).

So beware ;)

Heck, I even took a couple bird photos with my Canon Sony Cybershot 10x zoom a couple years ago, that I like, maybe others would'nt like them, but I didn't need $1000 lens for that.

I'll have to upload it here, I got a nice bald eagle in flight here in Maine I think last year in Yarmouth I believe. I'm proud of the picture and it's at least pretty clear and he's in flight. I'll try and upload it tonight.

Point and shoots are actually quite capable at this - because the smaller sensors mean they can pack quite a significant zoom into them. Granted it might not stand up to a DSLR, but you can still get some very good shots these days on a smaller setup.

Most reactions

Back