What lens should I get for a 300mm?

BIF is a niche that to do well takes reach and that takes money. The new zooms that hit 600 or the 80-400 will work but at a 500 dollar limit you can not even go with an old AI 500 manual focus. Not saying you are wrong to say not to spend the money but you are in the exotics range and they cost.

But just remember most of us said the very same thing you just did when we got started. We said it when we got a point and shoot (don't need a fancy DSLR) and we said it when we got a DSLR (don't need no fancy lenses or flash).

Amen!
4 Years ago when I paid $150 bucks for a brand new Tamron 70-300 Ld Di to go on my $300 D5000, I was freaking out. Haha.. The D800 and the Tamron 150-600 cost a bit more than that and it doesn't even phase me anymore..

It's funny how much my perception of what "expensive" is has changed after getting into photography.

I got a refurbished 70-300mm 4.5-5.6 VR direct from Nikon last month for $269.00 Very nice lens. I also have the 55-200 that I bought a few years ago. I'll probably sell it or give it to somebody. Before you start buying lenses, use what you have and find out what their limitations are. After a while you'll become savvy enough to know what you need and where to find it at a good price. Used lenses from amateur photographers are usually in mint condition so if price is a consideration, and in most cases it is, look at used lenses.

Last edited:

Most reactions

New Topics

Back