What lens should I get for my institute where I need to take 1-1 sessions & group photos alot.

Maheen

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I have a Canon 5DSR and want to take group photos and 1-1 session photos with children.

The problem i have is that when i need to take group photos, my 85mm and 50mm show blurring of photos at the ends. only a few people are focused and the rest are totally blurred!

i was told to use a wide angle lens. is the choice of 24-105 L-2 series by canon good?

i need recommendations please. a newbie so need help please

The 24-105 L IS USM is a very versatile lens. When I bought my new 5D classic back in 2006 or so I bought it with the 24 to 105 lens. Its focal length range covers from Fairly wide-angle to normal to moderate telephoto. If I were to have just _one lens for a Canon 5D ,this would be it.

Sounds like you need to use a smaller aperture something like f8-f16.
what lens should i buy with that aperture that can cover group photos?

Your existing lenses should go up to f22, you just need to set the aperture in your camera.

It'd be useful to see an example of an image which shows the problem. That would give us an idea if is was a depth of field issue or not

The problem i have is that when i need to take group photos, my 85mm and 50mm show blurring of photos at the ends. only a few people are focused and the rest are totally blurred!

i was told to use a wide angle lens. is the choice of 24-105 L-2 series by canon good?

Learn about "depth of field" (DOF) and learn to use your own lenses. If you can frame the entire group with your 85mm, then there is no reason to purchase a different lens. DOF is affected by focal length, sensor, distances, and the aperture. When you try to shoot at the widest aperture, your DOF will be quite thin, and in the case of the groups, too thin. That is why people on the ends are out of focus.

Someone told you to use a wide angle lens because they could not explain DOF to you, so they think a wide angle lens would make the DOF thick enough to keep everyone in focus. If you purchased a 24-105 lens at significant expense to you, but then zoom to 105mm, your DOF would not be any better than if you had just used your 85mm lens.

Besides; I would not recommend a wide angle lens anyway, because it could introduce lens distortion, something else your friend does not understand.

Use the 85mm lens, set your aperture to f/8, f/11, or f/16, something like that in order to keep the people on the ends in focus. Save your money, learn to use the equipment you already own, and make beautiful photos.

Sounds like you need to use a smaller aperture something like f8-f16.
what lens should i buy with that aperture that can cover group photos?
When you are making photographs, in which mode do you set your camera? If you are in aperture mode, just dial in a smaller aperture, as we have already wrote, something like f/8, f/11, f/16, or even f/22 depending on your DOF calculations. Use a DOF calculator to figure the DOF before the photo session. There are online DOF calculators available or you can download on for your smart phone so you can have it available at any time.

One more thing; arrange your groups in a moderate curve, rather than on a straight line. If you imagine your camera at the center of a circle, scribe an arc at the distance of the radius and have your subjects stand on that line.

Please tell us of your newly-acquired skill.

I have a Canon 5DSR and want to take group photos and 1-1 session photos with children.

Maheen, the lens you need is actually a speedlight! That way you can stop down and get plenty of DoF and still have plenty of light. With shallow DoF you need to always make sure if you have 2 subjects that they are lined up in the same plane of focus. The 50mm stopped down is probably OK! Good luck
SS

...Maheen, the lens you need is actually a speedlight!...
Probably, but depending on the size of the group and the venue, a single speedlight may not be sufficient. To be brutally frank, it sounds to me like your skills and/or gear is not yet at the level it should be to undertake a commission of this nature.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back