What lens should I get next?

Msteelio91

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Website
www.digitaldistrictphotography.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I've been feeling limited by my equipment lately. I have a Nikon D7000 with the Nikkor 18-105 kit lens. I'd like to get another lens for more "compact" shooting. I'm about to give a terrible explanation... what I'd like is to be able to snag some relatively shallow DOF shot's in close quarters. So, if my subject is 1-5 feet away, I'd like to be able to get a nice blur on everything behind the subject. I can't seem to make that happen so easily with the 18-105. I'm not sure if I just need a faster lens or what - still learning!

Sounds like Sigma's 18-35 1.8 would be excellent for you. If that's too expensive, grab a 50mm or 35mm 1.8 prime. Try setting your zoom to some of those focal lengths and shoot a few portraits with it, to see which length you like the most.

Jake

Sounds like Sigma's 18-35 1.8 would be excellent for you. If that's too expensive, grab a 50mm or 35mm 1.8 prime. Try setting your zoom to some of those focal lengths and shoot a few portraits with it, to see which length you like the most.

Jake

The 35mm prime on a crop sensor works similar to the 50 on Fx. The 35mm is really affordable and its a 1.8 so you can really get some nice bokeh.

35 is 35 and 50 is 50 on any sensor. (people get so confused by all that) I vote a 50mm f1.8 (or f1.4) and enjoy!

My 2nd lens I bought for my d7000 w/18-105kit was the 50mm/1.8 AF-D
I taught me alot about DOF and exactly what you want to explore.

either the 50mm or the 35mm would be my vote. But a "nifty 50" 50mm/1.8 AF-D lens is about $100ish on eBay ... a good, sharp and inexpensive lens for learning.
the AF-D version uses the focus motor on your d7000 versus the AF-S lenses which have a builtin lens motor.
you can save yourself some money while learning DOF

Yeah, I'm going with the 50mm too.

I got the 35mm but didn't enjoy it as much as the 50mm.

Thanks all for the input - my mistake on not including a price range! That sigma is real nice but definitely out of reach for me. I'm looking around the sub $300 market. It looks like I might be going 50mm prime based on all your advice. Time to go lens hunting :)

I would go with Nikon 50mm 1.8G too.
Nikon 60mm 2.8G is another posibility, its great for portrait and is a macro lens but its not as cheap as the 50mm

Always throwing a wrench in the mix right when I've nearly made a decision haha. Thanks for all of the help, I'll be on the lookout for some equipment now - and, hey, my birthday is coming up. Anyone feeling generous? Hahaha

Always throwing a wrench in the mix right when I've nearly made a decision haha. Thanks for all of the help, I'll be on the lookout for some equipment now - and, hey, my birthday is coming up. Anyone feeling generous? Hahaha
Yeah, I'll sell you my 50mm for more than it's worth
and add a bow to it :)

Most reactions

Back