What lens should I get?

PrestigePanda

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Hi guys, what lens should I get for my 7D Canon EF 40mm f/2.8 STM or Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II Camera LensPlease help me. Or should I get a battery grip?

You should get what you need to get so that you can best use the camera to photograph the subjects and situations that you want to photograph.

In short what choice you make depends most upon your own situation and needs, so until you give us an idea of what those are we really can't advise you. All three of the products you mention are good choices, each one for its own specific reasons. In addition your own situation and desires might well reveal that there are similarly priced other options that could be even more suitable than the three items you've already considered.

What do you mainly shoot? Do you shoot video a lot?

For me, I'd go with the 50mm f1.8, but that's because I like the look of large aperture pictures. But since I have a 30mm f1.4, I would not get either the 40 or the 50 since it's too similar to 30.

However, if I were shooting video a lot. I'd get the pancake over the Nifty since it was designed for video use (on the T4i). The 50 will be really loud when autofocusing on video mode.

I like to shoot portraits. Not a lot of video.

I'd go with the Nifty Fifty then. =)

In the event you want to isolate your subject more from the background, the extra focal length and lower f-stop will help with that.

As for the BG, it just depends on how one feels for you. I don't like BG's, but one of my friend needs it, otherwise, nothing feels right for him.

Nifty Fifty is a great choice but I have found that its really really tough to use in tight spaces (like in your home). I picked up a Sigma 30mm f/1.4 and its awesome so far.

Also a batter grip with Canon batteries, not off brand, will give you the ability to take hundreds of photos with out recharging them.

Nifty Fifty is a great choice but I have found that its really really tough to use in tight spaces (like in your home). I picked up a Sigma 30mm f/1.4 and its awesome so far.

Also a batter grip with Canon batteries, not off brand, will give you the ability to take hundreds of photos with out recharging them.

I think it just comes down to the third party brand. My third party battery actually lasts a lot longer than my OEM battery.

I think it just comes down to the third party brand. My third party battery actually lasts a lot longer than my OEM battery.

Ah ok. I read way too many bad things about 3rd party batteries. Most of them said they last only 1/2 the time as a Canon one does.

Now battery grips, I bought a 3rd party one off Adorama instead of getting the $150 Canon one. I think it was "Flashpoint"? and was less than $50.

Ah ok. I read way too many bad things about 3rd party batteries. Most of them said they last only 1/2 the time as a Canon one does.

Now battery grips, I bought a 3rd party one off Adorama instead of getting the $150 Canon one. I think it was "Flashpoint"? and was less than $50.

My friend bought a third party one too, and his is lasting longer than the OEM battery. Let me go look at what my brand is...no brand name =( lol

How do you like your battery grip? Care to share your likes and dislikes to help the OP on deciding what to get?

Here it is: Flashpoint Canon 7D. Not sure what to say about it besides... it works! Actually, now that I think about it, I'm not sure it is reporting the battery life to my camera. But I never go anywhere without having them both fully charged the night before so I don't mind. All the buttons work and its real snug, no gap and the grip is identical to the Canon ones on the camera.

Here it is: Flashpoint Canon 7D. Not sure what to say about it besides... it works! Actually, now that I think about it, I'm not sure it is reporting the battery life to my camera. But I never go anywhere without having them both fully charged the night before so I don't mind. All the buttons work and its real snug, no gap and the grip is identical to the Canon ones on the camera.

Nice. I think that's what I remember reading about BG's. Most third parties don't report accurate battery life. I think maybe a couple actually do. Can't remember which brands though. Hopefully your info helps the OP in his/her decision.

OP, I also didn't realize that you're not too far from me. haha

Really? xD Thank all of you for the help I don't know what I will of done without you guys.
:hail:

Most reactions

New Topics

Back