What lens should i take?

sharon167

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Hi, I am off to NYC in a couple of weeks so any suggestions which lens I should take? I have the choice of 18-200, 55-300, 50, 85, 10-24 and the kit lens. I don't want to lug my rucksack around and really only want to take two lens.

I would take the 10-24mm and one of the primes, probably 50mm. It really depends on what you want to shoot!

Good luck!

This is a tough choice but I'm going with the 18-200 and 10-24.

10-24 and the 50 or the 85, I say. It's a major city, where there's usually a building blocking you from seeing very far anyway, so I don't think there's a ton of opportunity for really long telephotos to be used much. Not even for street photography candids (I think wide angles from a yard away work better for this anyway).

So if you're mainly going to be shooting wide angle to mid, you would be better off bringing the less extreme range zoom (which will have better optics), and a prime (which has even better optics) that cover your most likely needed range.

I am working during the day put plan to do some sight seeing at the usual tourist spots but also really want to capture city life.

I second that. The 10-24 will be ideal for all your wide scenic and cityscape shots and the 18-200 will do well for everything else. Take the 18-200 over the prime, the versatility will come in handy.

I second that. The 10-24 will be ideal for all your wide scenic and cityscape shots and the 18-200 will do well for everything else. Take the 18-200 over the prime, the versatility will come in handy.

Unless she shoots at night with ambient light. Then the large aperture on the prime will make or break the shots.... I would go with three lens 10-24, 50 , and one of the two long ones (whichever is sharpest). If I had to only take two.. it would be the 10-24 and the 50. On a DX sensor.. the 85 is too long for some of the stuff you will probably want to shoot)

Many thanks everyone for the advice, I will go with the wide angel as this seems a majority vote, 18-200 and squeeze in the 50 as its small even if I have to pop it in my handbag :)

Most reactions

Back