What lens to buy next?

hondarider98

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
I'd like to consider myself an enthusiast photographer, but have a lot to learn! I currently have a Canon Rebel T3i with a EF-S 18-55mm f3.5-5.6, 55-250mm, and 50mm f1.8. These lenses are great, but I'm looking for another. I need some help deciding whether to buy a macro lens or a wide angle that would replace my kit lens? I like shooting landscapes and long exposure, but I love macro as well. I have never used another brand lens or a higher quality one, so I don't know how to compare the kit lens with others. Is the kit lens as sharp as other lenses? If so I would get a macro lens. Also I don't need a super wide angle.

I have looked at these lenses for both wide angle and macro:
Sigma 17-70mm f2.8-4
Tamron 17-50mm f2.8 VC
Canon 15-85mm f3.5-5.6 IS USM
Canon 17-55mm f2.8 IS

Macro:
Canon 60mm USM Macro
Tamron 90mm f2.8 Macro

Hope someone can help:) Thanks!

Do you actually need another lens though.. for wide-angle shots you can usually shoot a panorama, and there's LOTS of free and low-cost stitching software which makes putting it together a breeze. For macro & close-up work, you can use extension tubes and reversing rings, both of cost much less than a decent macro lens. Not trying to dissuade you, but there are other useful additions to your arsenal; do you have a good tripod? A polarizing filter? Speedlight?

When you say replace your kit lens does that mean you are going to sell your 18-55mm to afford this new lens?

You buy lenses to fit needs. What need do any of the first four lenses you listed meet that the kit lens doesn't? The difference between 15mm and 18mm is about a half a step back. The difference between 55mm and 85mm is about 2 steps forward.

There is quite a difference between the 60mm and the 90mm you listed. Personally for macro the 90mm or Canon's 100mm macro are better choices for macro in general.

To be honest you can only decide yourself if you prefer to get a wide angle or a mcro lens. When you decide which you require you would get more help on the plus and minus points of these type lenses. FWIW the lenses you listed as replacements for your kit lens are a little better, maybe 2 of them are quite a bit better, but your kit lens should be good for wide angle, if it is not wide enough you would be better to compliment it with a 10-20mm range lens, rather than replave it. As for macro, as long as your decided on a focal length required most are good, of the ones you list I would go with the tamron if I wanted to shoot any insects for the distance back it gives, but I would suggest googling a few in similar price ranges that don't rotate or elongate when focussing

You buy lenses to fit needs. What need do any of the first four lenses you listed meet that the kit lens doesn't? The difference between 15mm and 18mm is about a half a step back. The difference between 55mm and 85mm is about 2 steps forward.

I was thinking of upgrading for better optical quality, sharpness, build quality. I don't know if other lenses provide better optics though?

To be honest you can only decide yourself if you prefer to get a wide angle or a mcro lens. When you decide which you require you would get more help on the plus and minus points of these type lenses. FWIW the lenses you listed as replacements for your kit lens are a little better, maybe 2 of them are quite a bit better, but your kit lens should be good for wide angle, if it is not wide enough you would be better to compliment it with a 10-20mm range lens, rather than replave it. As for macro, as long as your decided on a focal length required most are good, of the ones you list I would go with the tamron if I wanted to shoot any insects for the distance back it gives, but I would suggest googling a few in similar price ranges that don't rotate or elongate when focussing

If I get a super wide angle, won't my kit lens become useless? I could just skip over that small focal range to my 50mm f1.8 right?

Most reactions

Back