Stevedevil

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.sjrphoto.co.uk
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hi All

Im looking to replace the lens that came with my EOS 350D, its a 18 - 55mm f 3.5 - 5.6 EF S lens

I have been really interested in the Tamron that ( sorry to mention name ) Big Mike has purchased,

Tamron SP AF17-50mm F/2.8 XR Di II LD Aspherical [IF]

Which does look a great lens, and the photo's posted with little flash fill in look A1++

I dont know the Sigma range that well, also the Canon Range

Im looking to keep the f stop around 2.8 ( as I think this is quite the standard for a good lens ) but would also like to keep in mind my canon 28 - 80mm f4-5.6, as the new lense could possibly span nearer the 80mm, but dont want to loose the lower end ( 17mm )

Any advice welcome

Cheers

Im looking to keep the f stop around 2.8 ( as I think this is quite the standard for a good lens )

Some brilliant lenses out there with f/4 ... it depends if you need the 2.8, then pay for it. really depends on your type of photography.

but would also like to keep in mind my canon 28 - 80mm f4-5.6, as the new lense could possibly span nearer the 80mm, but dont want to loose the lower end ( 17mm )

I actually would not try to cover the whole range with one lens. Waht about a 16-35mm L 2.8 from Canon for the lower end? There is a new mk of that lens out just now. And then something else for longer lengths.

the wider the range of focal length you try to span with one zoom lens, the more distortions you get at the short and long end of the lens usually.

The EF-S 17-55mm F2.8 IS USM, is probably the best lens as a direct replacement for the kit lens. The new 16-35 F2.8 L also looks like it will be a good one and it has the advantage that it can be used on a film or full frame digital, should the need arise. After that, I'd look at the Tamron 17-50 F2.8, the Sigma 18-50 F2.8 or even the Sigma 17-70mm f2.8-4.5 Macro. There is also the Canon 17-85 F4-5.6 IS.

Been seriously looking at the sigma 10 - 20mm to cover the lower end, thats why looked at the Tamron too to give a great portrait lens, As ive read many times an f2.8 set at f4 can sometimes be better than an f4 lens

If I had £2000 I would go for all singing all dancing IS lenses, but Im really looking to get a lens to replace the 18 - 55 EFS

So the longer range will be looked at, when more funding is in pocket..

Maybe some advice on What Lenses You Would Carry

Cheers

Steve

A question to Big Mike

Your Tamron 17 - 50mm f2.8 against the EF S 17 - 55mm f2.8 USM

Just saw the price so I think I know why!!

Most reactions

New Topics

Back