What lens woud you pair with the D700?

Getting rid of my current stuff isn't something I want to do.

why?... if you are moving to full frame there is no point have DX lenses....

edit: since your budget is only $5 grand... you may want to consider used nikor 28-70 2.8 and 80-200 2.8... these are still two well regarded professional quality lenses...

I just had the same question. I just got a D700 and would highly recommend the 24-70. I have an old F2A and 105 and it works great with the new body...
Noob to this forum, but would highly agree with Sw1tch ... 24 - 70 F2.8 is a great lens and if you can pick up the 105, it is a great combo.
I also love the 14 - 24 for some unique images, but it isn't everyone's cup of tea.
Good luck.
Tim

why?... if you are moving to full frame there is no point have DX lenses....

edit: since your budget is only $5 grand... you may want to consider used nikor 28-70 2.8 and 80-200 2.8... these are still two well regarded professional quality lenses...

because I want to keep them for the D40.. Which I will still keep for when I don't want to lug the D700 around with me. The only DX lenses I have are the kit and the 55-200.

But, even if I do use them on the D700.. It will treat it like a D300 then and crop the image down.

Yeah you really don't want to buy the 17-55 2.8 it is not made for a full size sensor. Best bet on good glass would be 24-70 2.8 and a 70-200 2.8 VR or 80-200 2.8 if you can’t afford the VR. For wider angle shots the 17-35 2.8 would be best and your 50 1.8 is still great on a D700. Those are all best case scenario though for pro-sumer lenses you have a bunch more options. Plenty of non pro lenses are still good. Check www.kenrockwell.com for reviews.

lol, So, you start losing weight.. and people ask you how you are doing it..

"well, I spent about 7grand on camera equipment and just carry it around all day.. seems to be a pretty good diet/workout plan so far..."

the diet part comes with the fact that you can't afford to buy food anymore ...

because I want to keep them for the D40.. Which I will still keep for when I don't want to lug the D700 around with me. The only DX lenses I have are the kit and the 55-200.

But, even if I do use them on the D700.. It will treat it like a D300 then and crop the image down.

but the result is a 5meg picture... whereas with the D300 it would be a 12meg picture...

seems like putting a dx lens on a D700 is an awful waste....i dunno... if you really want a D700 you gotta step up the lenses...

i also doubt very much that you will have an appetite to use the D40 after you spend the money on a D700..... you'll get used to the weight pretty quickly.....

Alright. So I plan to one day purchase a D700 and accessories... This may be afew months to a year from now, But it is what I have decided that I want. It's a little bit of an overkill but thats what I want.. So I'm not left wanting... Just learning.

I currently use a D40 with the basic lenses, 1.8 50mm, 18-55mm kit, 55-200mm vr, and the 60mm af-s macro lens. Soon I am going to buy the Tamron 17-55mm 2.8.

None of those lens are up to par with the D700 so I will also be purchasing some nice glass with the body... Which is where I need some suggestions on. I plan to be doing alot of senior portrait style pictures and such.. Just to give a better idea.

I'm open to anything really.. new.. used.. just whatever... but I would greatly appreciate suggestions. My budget when buying everything will probably be from $4,000-4,500... All really depending on what price I can find the body at that point in time.

Thanks in advance.

- Parker

I'm in a similar boat as you with my D40 and saving/planning for the D700.

The 60mm is the only lens in your current arsenal that you can use on the D700 without the crop; the rest are all DX. I would def hold off on the 17-55 f/2.8 due to that limitation with DX/FX.

I have used the 14-24mm f/2.8 on a number of occasions and am absolutely in LOVE with it. So that is a #1 recommendation, but not absolute necessity if you don't know how to use a wide-angle.

If you want a nice tide over lens, I just recently pre-ordered the new Nikon 50mm f/1.4 G AF-S prime; it works on the D40/60 series as a DX and is fully compatible with the FX bodies as well. Can't go wrong with a 50mm prime on a full-frame body!

I would then invest in a 70-200 f/2.8 lens; the Nikon version is hard to get, comes with VR, and is $1500+. The Tamron version is new, also f/2.8, but with no VR, comes to about $699. I am personally leaning towards the Tamron because I don't usually shoot that "zoomed." I hate using my 55-200mm VR on my D40!!

But that's my plan of attack based on what I shoot (wedding stuff, landscape, and hobby).

Budget wise, $4000-4500 will be tight. Right now, you can get what I just mentioned for about $5300.

but the result is a 5meg picture... whereas with the D300 it would be a 12meg picture...

seems like putting a dx lens on a D700 is an awful waste....i dunno... if you really want a D700 you gotta step up the lenses...

i also doubt very much that you will have an appetite to use the D40 after you spend the money on a D700..... you'll get used to the weight pretty quickly.....

Selling the kit lens and the 55-200vr will only net me.. maybe $260... I just see no need to sell them if I don't plan to get rid of the D40.

Its always nice to have an extra camera.

and..

shivaswrath,

I have the nikkor 1.8 50mm, it also works on full frame. Its just the kit lens and the 55-200mm that aren't full frame.

lens for portrait? how bout the Nikkor 105mm F/2.5. you can find one in excellent shape for about 250-350 on ebay and its one of the best lenses nikon makes. I just got one the other day and am eagerly awaiting its arrival.

Is this also a macro lens?

well, as much as I keep drooling over one, I'd have to sell most of my MF lenses to pay for it, negating the reason for having one, but if I had one, I'd probably use my 35mm f2 Nikkor O-C, 55 1.2 S-C and either the 105 2.5 or 135 2.0. I love my 180 2.8 on film, but it's a little bit heavy to carry around all day.

Most reactions

Back