What lens would be good for me?

jasonsmith0327

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I have a D40, and would like to upgrade my lens. I am a beginner, so I wouldn't want anything too much. I would rather it be inexpensive too. There is a store on my military base that has a VR 55-200mm(I believe) for like $140. Would this be a good lens to get? Or I would like to get a wide zoom lens. Does anyone know where I could find one, or give me your opinion on getting one? Thanks

If you only have one lens and it is a 18-55, I think the 55-200 VR is a great second lens. That's a great price too.

The 55-200 is a good compliment to the 18-55. They're both consumer-grade kit lenses, but for their price-point they turn in very respectable optical performance. If you want to get much wider than 18mm, than you're going to be looking at more money. There are a number of DX format wide-angle zooms, including Nikon's 10-24 and 12-24mm which retail new for $800+. There are some third-pary versions as well, but they're not a great deal cheaper.

A nice prime lens would also be a good choice and would give you more low light capability. Either the 35mm f/1.8G DX or the 50mm f/1.8G would auto focus on the D40 and are each around $200 new.
Both are nice lenses for the money.

Or I would like to get a wide zoom lens.
Add me to the ones recommending the 55-200 mm for only $140.

You already have a wide angle lens at 18 mm. A decent wide angle zoom will cost some serious money (even 3rd party), becuase at wide angle there is more optical aberration that has to be corrected by the lens design.

Nikon makes a $700 16-85 mm 16-85mm f/3.5-5.6G ED, a $1225 12-24 mm f/4, and a $2000 14-24 mm f/2.8.

Notice that constant aperture zooms cost more than variable aperture zooms and that the wider the maximum aperture the more they cost too.

I have a D40, and would like to upgrade my lens. I am a beginner, so I wouldn't want anything too much. I would rather it be inexpensive too. There is a store on my military base that has a VR 55-200mm(I believe) for like $140. Would this be a good lens to get? Or I would like to get a wide zoom lens. Does anyone know where I could find one, or give me your opinion on getting one? Thanks

Thanks for serving, and enjoy that 55-200 lens
bigthumb.gif

Yep concur with others as even tho have a 70-300vr. Prefer the smaller,lighter more compact 55-200vr. And for under $200 can't be beat in my opinion. Been my main walkabout lens for last year or so. As focal length and range fits my preferred style. And have shot over 15k shots with it.

It's cheap but Image IQ and the VR makes for a very usable lens. And will help define your needs further. As may need something longer or faster down the road.

Most reactions

Back