What lens?

ACMark

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
G'day everyone, hope y'all doing well.

I am currently in a lens-buying dilemma. I have managed to buy an extremely cheap d300s from an acquaintance, although I do not know much about photography, other than my love for it is as big as my ignorance in the subject.

the question: what lens can I buy as a "normal" lens, basically something quite neutral that would allow me to take everyday pictures such as travelling, animals and just random people in general daily circumstances.

for reasons too long to explain, I need the lens to also be compatible with a d700.

I've been suggested an 18-55, but I want to make sure before i buy it. I'd be more than thankful if anyone can help me out. cheers and have a good sunday!

The D700 is a full frame and the D300 is still crop sensor, I do believe that DX lenses will work fine but I think it still will register the crop factor. Someone who knows more will chime in Im sure. If you want to take to pictures of animals; I'm reading wildlife into this you might want to look into the 55- 200 or the 70 to 300. I have no experience with the 18 - 55 but I do have the 18- 105mm and I would like more reach for wildlife.

Oh and you might want to suggest your budget for this.

Alright, I don't know much about lenses but I'll take a shot at it. You say you want an every-day sort of lens thats versatile and can take every day pictures. There are prime lenses that do not zoom in an out (they are stuck at a certain mm) and those often have the sharpest quality because their built for that length. However, they take longer to snap shots with because you have to physically move your body to zoom in and out. Then there are zoom lenses which is probably what you are looking at. Those (obviously) can zoom in and out and are very versatile depending on which one you get. They might lack quality at their maximum length but they are often made quite well and take good pictures. I bought a 55-250mm lens that I am quite content with and is very versatile (I use it for most every-day shots). We can't really help you that much on lenses though without knowing your budget. Tell us what your price range is and we can start suggesting some specific lenses. Also, depending on what you like, you should look into the three types of lenses- Telephoto (takes long range shots, like birds, wildlife, etc.), Macro- (takes close-ups) and Wide Angle (good for landscapes and that thing). Depending on what you would mostly like to photograph, you should look into those. Most of them can also serve as everyday lenses, like a macro I am looking into. It takes very nice macro pictures but it also serves as a versatile lens that can take normal snapshots. Anyway, sorry if this was a lot of review for you, I just don't really know how much knowledge you have of lenses. Like I said, let us know your budget and we can start suggesting your specific lenses. Good luck!

Any FX lens will project an image circle large enough to use the entire image senor of both a D300s and a D700.

The 18-55 lens is a DX lens and will not project an image circle that will entirely use the D700 image sensor, but it's in expensive. So inexpensive that's why it is known as a kit lens.

Knowing how much of your money wwe can spend would be helpful.

I would suggest Nikon's AF NIKKOR 50mm f/1.8D. It costs about $120 USD new, and a "normal lens" on the D700, but because of the D300s' crop factor gives the FOV (field-of-view) a 75 mm lens would on the D700.

In standard zoom lenses the least expensive FX lens is the AF Zoom-NIKKOR 24-85mm f/2.8-4D IF at about $500 USD, used.

An FX prime lens option would be the AF NIKKOR 35mm f/2D (About $300 USD, used). It would give you a "normal' FOV on the D300s (equivelent to 52.5 mm on the D700) and of course would be 35 mm on the D700.

Thanks for the replies guys, sorry about forgetting such an important factor as price.

I wouldn't wanna spend more than USD140 on the lens. It'd probably be useful to say I'm literally a beginner in photography, I just need a lens that would be a decent "all-rounder" for taking random pictures on the street and so on while I learn and decide what to focus on. Feel free to ignore the d700 factor, so what I'm mostly looking for is an everyday lens for a d300s.

Cheers everyone, thanks a lot for the replies and sorry for my ambiguity/lack of information.

If we can ignore the full frame requirement, then the 18-55mm kit lens is probably the best option for your stated budget.

Although the 18-55 may be OK, I would agree with KmH with the 50mm or 35mm. Get something that can take advantage of the full frame sensor IMO.

The 50 f/1.8 has speed, and you can't get that with your feet like you can zoom.

The 50 f1/8 has better image quality and build than the 18-55 and again, you can't get that with your feet.

I'm shooting on a D200, and the Nikkor 35/2 is almost always on my camera. like KmH said, it's a "normal" lens on the D300 or any crop frame body (just incase, crop frame bodies "lengthen" your focal length 1.5x.. so multiply that 35mm by 1.5). The 35/2 is also relatively "fast" (fast meaning it has a big aperture, letting in more light, which in turn lets you set a faster shutter speed, I'm assuming by beginner, you know nothing).

The 35/2 is a little pricey, but it's definitely one of my favourite, most... "creative" lenses I've ever used.

If you want an inexpensive, fast "normal" lens, then go for the 50/1.8.

Something tells me you'll appreciate either of these lenses a lot more than the 18-55/3.5-5.6 kit lens. The f2 and f1.8 maximum apertures let you do a LOT more.

I agree that the 35mm or the 50mm give you the best bang for your buck for the image quality you get.

The 50 f/1.8 has speed, and you can't get that with your feet like you can zoom.

The 50 f1/8 has better image quality and build than the 18-55 and again, you can't get that with your feet.

Perfectly valid points...can't argue with you there. I don't know, I just think having only short telephoto would be more limiting than the weaknesses of the kit lens. 18-55mm is a nice zoom range to have, and it's still a small investment, for the time-being. BTW, how many people report build-quality related issues (actual problems) with the Nikon kit lenses? Just curious.

Thanks for the replies! Great advice everyone and sorry to keep annoying, Im planning to buy another lens, for about the same maximum price, I haven't bought any yet, but I'm thinking I'm gonna get the 50/1.8 as it seems like everyone's best suggestion for what I'm looking for, as for a second lens, if I need something to be able to zoom in, looking into taking pictures of landscape/architecture, what would you suggest?

Thanks again for the answers so far by the way, you've been of great help!

Last edited:
For the second lens needing to zoom in or get landscapes and architecture then I would definitely suggest the 18-55 Infidel suggested. You can go pretty wide at 18mm for landscape or architecture, but you zoom in to 55mm. Then after that one pick up a 55-200mm VR lens and that will give you a good starting point with all fairly cheap lenses.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back