What lenses are good (and hopefully cost effective) on Nikon D7000

I think I really like this one. and I found it for 250$ from craigslist. and of course I am going to check it out. but do you think it is worth my time?

No, get the 70-300 VR. I've read it's loads better.

Why do you want another telephoto though if you have an 80-200? That's a great lens. If anything, save up a little then sell it then buy a 70-200 f/2.8.

Keep in mind his 80-200 is *not* the f/2.8 professional lens. It's the f/4.5-5.6 version -- I had to look it up when he listed it. They seem to be selling for $60 and less on ebay.

I assume that you've tried the 55-300 VR by now. I don't have any experience with that lens but it seems to get okay reviews for the level of consumer lens that it is, though slow focusing.
yep just looked that up and said it is slow at focusing. that is something I do not need at football or moving objects. I am sure it will be fine 1 out of 4 pictures, but I want the 1 out of 2 picture types.

I think I have found my lens. (I think). Tamron 70-300mm f/4-5.6 Di VC USD SP AF. the reviews on this are great. and it's not much more then the nikkor lens 55-300MM. The reviews are acting like it is sharp and stays fairly sharp at 300MM, something the nikkor lost after 200MM. I'm not reading to many bad reviews from multiple sites.

Tamron Lens: Zooms - Tamron 70-300mm f/4-5.6 Di VC USD SP AF (Tested) - SLRgear.com!

The rap against Nikon's 55-300mm zoom is sloooooow focusing. That's all I ever hear about it. Usually from people who've used a decent 70-300mm zoom. I think the Tamron is probably pretty close to or maybe better than the Nikon 70-300 AF-S G. I see a lot of benefit to the stabilized 70-300 lenses, for panning, but also for use in the wind, like at the seashore or lakeshore, where WIND is a very,very difficult thing to combat with a tripod, or hand-held, but which stabilized lenses can handle pretty darned well.

I like panning, and to me, the single biggest advance in panning was the auto-detect panning that Nikon VR has always had: no need for a "switch" like the early Canon implementation.

I just picked up a Tamron 70-300mm (see sig) and I'm finding it to be quite sharp. Plus, there's a $100 mail-in rebate so that drops the overall price to $350. And that's for the iteration with VC, which is Tamron's version of Nikon's VR.
Sounds like I'll be doing that. I tried out a used VR today. And after 200 it lost a little sharpness. And focusing was slow. Slower then this lens that came with it.

I'm kinda in the same boat. My kids soccer are going to a larger field now. So my 80-200/2.8 might be stretched a bit on my FF. But I do have a crop camera, and my slow focusing 75-300 AF lens. I'm actually researching the Tokina AT-X AF 100-300 f/4 lens as a possible solution to the bigger field problem - and they are fairly inexpensive. The Sigma 150-500/Tamron 150-600's sound nice but are out of my price range.

I'm kinda in the same boat. My kids soccer are going to a larger field now. So my 80-200/2.8 might be stretched a bit on my FF. But I do have a crop camera, and my slow focusing 75-300 AF lens. I'm actually researching the Tokina AT-X AF 100-300 f/4 lens as a possible solution to the bigger field problem - and they are fairly inexpensive. The Sigma 150-500/Tamron 150-600's sound nice but are out of my price range.
out of my price range as well.

I played with the tamron 70-300 the other day. It focused at a good speed and everything seemed sharp.

Now if i could only find a used one. :D

Nikon Zoom-Nikkor 80-400 mm F/4.5-5.6 VR D AF A/M ED Lens

I keep finding these lenses on a decent price of 800-900$. I know they are FX lenses, but it works with DX. plus if I ever go FX, I can take this lens onto it. Anyone else have any input?

Most reactions

New Topics

Back