What lenses are you lusting for right now?

A nice working 40mm or 50mm for my Hasselblad V system

Dave

Realistically...not like 600mm f/4 or something nuts.
But right now, what lenses do you really wish you had?

I have a D810 and I just got to play with a Nikon 300mm f/4E PF
holy smokes! Love!
300mm and no bigger than the 24-70 f/2.8 (and no cheaper either)

The other lens I really want is the Sigma 50mm f/1.4 ART
I love the 50mm length and the ART version is supposed to be amazing.

Tamron 24-70 f2.8 VC or Nikon 24-70 f2.8 non-VR. Not any time soon.

Nikon 600mm f4e. Unrealistic.
Nikon 500mm f4e. Unrealistic.
Nikon 70-200 f2.8 VR-ii. Unrealistic given how sparingly I would use it.

holy smokes! Love!

Tamron 24-70 f2.8 VC or Nikon 24-70 f2.8 non-VR. Not any time soon.

Nikon 600mm f4e. Unrealistic.
Nikon 500mm f4e. Unrealistic.
Nikon 70-200 f2.8 VR-ii. Unrealistic given how sparingly I would use it.

I use my 70-200 not as much as I used to
My GF buggered off to Germany with my 24-70 for an assignment.
They're superb lenses.
I've gotten lazy and now favour a more lively candid aesthetic so I use my 85mm more.

None, really.
Yeap, same here, I really got all the lenses I need.
I mean sure if I was insanely rich then I would get more lenses but honestly I doubt I would use them, what I have now is just perfect for my needs.
I am what you could call a happy man :) (gear wise).

On my wishlist.. hmm...

Well looking at possibly adding either a 50-500mm Sigma OS or alternatively a Sigma 100-300mm F4 to the bag for zoo shooting. I think both would be great in that capacity, just haven't really decided which of the two would be the most useful yet.

For wildlife shots I'd like to get either a Sigma 150-600mm or a Tamron 150-600mm at some point as well, though that will be further down the road.

I really enjoy my Bigma. Though getting it AND one of those xxx-600 lenses might be overkill. I find the shorter end of the bigma to really only be useful in very specific situations. Parades and equine photography (in the ring) for me mostly. It is plenty sharp for me and I have gotten some good wildlife shots with it.

The 300mm f/4E PF is on my list as well. 300mm + TC-17II + 1.6 DX sensor on my D7000 would be amazing for wildlife/ sports, assuming the autofocus could keep up. Probably could if you used limiter. Maybe even grab one of those new D500's for the focusing system... Oh god, it just never ends!

holy smokes! Love!

• Sigma 20mm f/1.4 Art
  • Samyang 24mm f/1.4 UMC
  • Nikkor AF 135mm f/2 DC
  • Nikkor AF-S 300mm f/4E ED PF VR

I've got one and it is FANTASTIC for astro-photos but you need to be really careful in direct sunlight as it flares really easily. Overall, I really like it.

Perfect! It'll be mostly for astro with some b&w landscape mixed in

I've got one and it is FANTASTIC for astro-photos but you need to be really careful in direct sunlight as it flares really easily. Overall, I really like it.

Shot at 16mm
f/2.8
ISO 1600
(yes, it'll work on a FF camera at 16mm).
windfarm milky way800.jpg

I really enjoy my Bigma. Though getting it AND one of those xxx-600 lenses might be overkill. I find the shorter end of the bigma to really only be useful in very specific situations. Parades and equine photography (in the ring) for me mostly. It is plenty sharp for me and I have gotten some good wildlife shots with it.

The 300mm f/4E PF is on my list as well. 300mm + TC-17II + 1.6 DX sensor on my D7000 would be amazing for wildlife/ sports, assuming the autofocus could keep up. Probably could if you used limiter. Maybe even grab one of those new D500's for the focusing system... Oh god, it just never ends!

Don't even get me started on never ending. My Tamron 15-30 has given me a new taste for landscape photography (actually it's the 10-stop ND filter, which I've already scratched up a bit getting it in ocean action).

I want a Sony A7R-ii alongside a Nikon system. Almost identical lenses on both systems. Why? Because. Realistically not happening.

Shot at 16mm
f/2.8
ISO 1600
View attachment 124628

Nice!

I really want to try a FishEye lens too sometime. I had some neat ideas for it back when I got more into photography when I got my d7000 and would go on photog expeditions.

I wouldn't mind something bigger than my 150-600 Tamron too, but not in size. I have my 2500/5000mm scope and wouldn't mind a pocketable, super high IQ 10,000mm lens that sells for a couple hundred dollars.

Maybe I'll spring for that 105mm Nikon macro now ...

If I go with the 50-500 I doubt I'll still get the 150-600. The low end of the 50-500 would actually be pretty useful to me for shooting at the zoo - even on the 70-200mm 70 can be a bit to long on occasion since in many situations your shooting through glass and the closer you can get to it the better to minimize reflection. The 50-500 would be nice because I could mount just one lens and it would cover probably 80% of what I shoot at the zoo. I'd only have to switch occasionally when I really needed something faster, so I could always do the majority of my shooting with the one lens, take a break and swap them out at the car, then head back with the 70-200mm 2.8 for those places that the 5.6/6.3 just really couldn't do the job that well.

I'm also looking at the 100-300mm F4 = with a 1.4x TC that would give me out to 420 at 5.6 for the outdoor stuff, and still be fast enough that I could shoot the indoor stuff so again most of my shooting condensed into one lens. I could carry the 28-75 with me for those spots where the 100mm was just too long I guess, so I'd probably have to swap lenses a bit more but I think that would be workable.

Lol.. true, it never does. Fortunately I'm getting by pretty well with whats in the bag so this all falls into the "would be nice to have at some point" category, not the .. wow, I really need category.

If I go with the 50-500 I doubt I'll still get the 150-600. The low end of the 50-500 would actually be pretty useful to me for shooting at the zoo - even on the 70-200mm 70 can be a bit to long on occasion since in many situations your shooting through glass and the closer you can get to it the better to minimize reflection. The 50-500 would be nice because I could mount just one lens and it would cover probably 80% of what I shoot at the zoo. I'd only have to switch occasionally when I really needed something faster, so I could always do the majority of my shooting with the one lens, take a break and swap them out at the car, then head back with the 70-200mm 2.8 for those places that the 5.6/6.3 just really couldn't do the job that well.

I'm also looking at the 100-300mm F4 = with a 1.4x TC that would give me out to 420 at 5.6 for the outdoor stuff, and still be fast enough that I could shoot the indoor stuff so again most of my shooting condensed into one lens. I could carry the 28-75 with me for those spots where the 100mm was just too long I guess, so I'd probably have to swap lenses a bit more but I think that would be workable.

Lol.. true, it never does. Fortunately I'm getting by pretty well with whats in the bag so this all falls into the "would be nice to have at some point" category, not the .. wow, I really need category.
Close focus distance of that 50-500 I think is around 20 inches plus the length of the lens.
I looked really closely at that lens once but got the 150-500 but soon replaced it with the tamron 150-600.

If you use the Sigma strap, you strap the lens so you can have it by your side if you swap on a small lens. I also didn't like the focus and zoom mechanisms as I thought they were hard and not really smooth compared to Tamron/Nikon.

I borrowed a Nikon AF-S 80-400 VR II on Sunday.
It wasn't too bad but the slow slow slow f/5.6 got to me.
DSC_5521.jpg
DSC_5582.jpg

Shot at 16mm
f/2.8
ISO 1600
View attachment 124628
Ah. I didn't put 2 and 2 together earlier! Totally missed that it was your photo that got me curious about that lens.

Like my photos, sometimes I'm sharp, sometimes I'm a butter knife.

Close focus distance of that 50-500 I think is around 20 inches plus the length of the lens.

I don't think the close focusing distance would be a huge issue at least not in most of the situations I plan on using the lens. I usually have a fairly decent distance between myself and the subject, but often when I close the distance to get as close to the glass as possible I wind up not having quite enough FOV - this happens most often with the bigger critters I shoot, like the gorillas. I'd like to be able to get a bit more background in but if I backup I start picking up reflections from the glass which are a pain to deal with in post.

I looked really closely at that lens once but got the 150-500 but soon replaced it with the tamron 150-600.

I'm also looking at the 150-500, I think the 150 would probably be a bit long though in some of the places I shoot at the zoo. A lot of course will depend on what sort of deal I can get when I'm ready to buy of course.. lol

If you use the Sigma strap, you strap the lens so you can have it by your side if you swap on a small lens. I also didn't like the focus and zoom mechanisms as I thought they were hard and not really smooth compared to Tamron/Nikon.

The Nikon 80-400 was on my list, but the older version that doesn't have a built in motor gets trashed pretty hard in reviews for being too slow to autofocus, so I started looking at alternatives. The newer version is just a bit more than I want to pay at least at this stage.

Tamron really doesn't make much in the 400mm range, they have a 200-500 but it doesn't seem to be too well regarded, and it lacks VC. That and of course 200 just seems too long for what I want on the low end. They have a 200-400mm as well, push pull as I recall again with no VC.

Most reactions

Back