What lenses are you lusting for right now?

Discussion in 'Photography Equipment & Products' started by chuasam, Jul 11, 2016.

1. astroNikon

astroNikon 'ya all Bananas I tell 'ya Supporting Member

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    I really want to try a FishEye lens too sometime. I had some neat ideas for it back when I got more into photography when I got my d7000 and would go on photog expeditions.

I wouldn't mind something bigger than my 150-600 Tamron too, but not in size. I have my 2500/5000mm scope and wouldn't mind a pocketable, super high IQ 10,000mm lens that sells for a couple hundred dollars.

Maybe I'll spring for that 105mm Nikon macro now ...

• Winner Winner x 1
  2. robbins.photo

robbins.photo Yup, It's The Zoo Guy Supporting Member

Photos OK to edit
    If I go with the 50-500 I doubt I'll still get the 150-600. The low end of the 50-500 would actually be pretty useful to me for shooting at the zoo - even on the 70-200mm 70 can be a bit to long on occasion since in many situations your shooting through glass and the closer you can get to it the better to minimize reflection. The 50-500 would be nice because I could mount just one lens and it would cover probably 80% of what I shoot at the zoo. I'd only have to switch occasionally when I really needed something faster, so I could always do the majority of my shooting with the one lens, take a break and swap them out at the car, then head back with the 70-200mm 2.8 for those places that the 5.6/6.3 just really couldn't do the job that well.

I'm also looking at the 100-300mm F4 = with a 1.4x TC that would give me out to 420 at 5.6 for the outdoor stuff, and still be fast enough that I could shoot the indoor stuff so again most of my shooting condensed into one lens. I could carry the 28-75 with me for those spots where the 100mm was just too long I guess, so I'd probably have to swap lenses a bit more but I think that would be workable.

Lol.. true, it never does. Fortunately I'm getting by pretty well with whats in the bag so this all falls into the "would be nice to have at some point" category, not the .. wow, I really need category.

3. astroNikon

astroNikon 'ya all Bananas I tell 'ya Supporting Member

Photos OK to edit
    Close focus distance of that 50-500 I think is around 20 inches plus the length of the lens.
    I looked really closely at that lens once but got the 150-500 but soon replaced it with the tamron 150-600.

If you use the Sigma strap, you strap the lens so you can have it by your side if you swap on a small lens. I also didn't like the focus and zoom mechanisms as I thought they were hard and not really smooth compared to Tamron/Nikon.

4. chuasam

chuasam Been spending a lot of time on here!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    I borrowed a Nikon AF-S 80-400 VR II on Sunday.
    It wasn't too bad but the slow slow slow f/5.6 got to me.
    DSC_5521.jpg DSC_5582.jpg

5. sw_

sw_ TPF Noob!

Ah. I didn't put 2 and 2 together earlier! Totally missed that it was your photo that got me curious about that lens.

Like my photos, sometimes I'm sharp, sometimes I'm a butter knife.

6. robbins.photo

robbins.photo Yup, It's The Zoo Guy Supporting Member

Photos OK to edit
    I don't think the close focusing distance would be a huge issue at least not in most of the situations I plan on using the lens. I usually have a fairly decent distance between myself and the subject, but often when I close the distance to get as close to the glass as possible I wind up not having quite enough FOV - this happens most often with the bigger critters I shoot, like the gorillas. I'd like to be able to get a bit more background in but if I backup I start picking up reflections from the glass which are a pain to deal with in post.

I'm also looking at the 150-500, I think the 150 would probably be a bit long though in some of the places I shoot at the zoo. A lot of course will depend on what sort of deal I can get when I'm ready to buy of course.. lol

The Nikon 80-400 was on my list, but the older version that doesn't have a built in motor gets trashed pretty hard in reviews for being too slow to autofocus, so I started looking at alternatives. The newer version is just a bit more than I want to pay at least at this stage.

Tamron really doesn't make much in the 400mm range, they have a 200-500 but it doesn't seem to be too well regarded, and it lacks VC. That and of course 200 just seems too long for what I want on the low end. They have a 200-400mm as well, push pull as I recall again with no VC.

7. Netskimmer

Netskimmer No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos OK to edit
    I have read that as well. Not sure what they are referring to, but in manual focus I can focus on objects as close as 6 inches, possibly a little less, when at 50mm.

8. PropilotBW

PropilotBW Been spending a lot of time on here!

Photos OK to edit
    Looking into:
    M.Zuiko 60mm f/2.8 macro (most likely, as this is a current gap in my coverage)
    M.Zuiko 40-150 f/2.8 PRO with 1.4x tele. (Not likely soon, but definitely want)
    M.Zuiko 7-14 f/2.8 PRO (possibly soon).
    M.Zuiko 75mm f/1.8 (I want, someday).
    M.Zuiko 300mm f/4 (a dream).

• Like Like x 1
  9. cherylynne1

cherylynne1 No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos OK to edit
    Well, unrealistically I'd love to try out the new Sony 24-70 2.8 and 70-200 2.8. But it's not going to happen.

I think my next lens will be the Zeiss 16-70 as an everyday lens. Right now I'm using the 35 1.8 prime, which is great indoors, but a little tricky when doing things like chasing kids around the park. A zoom would be nice.

I also might like the 70-300 zoom. I'm hearing good things, and I've found that on the occasions that I need a long focal length I usually want more than 210.

And if I had unlimited funds, the Zeiss 24 1.8, Sony 90 macro, and 85 1.4 would all come home with me too. :)

10. Solarflare

Solarflare No longer a newbie, moving up!

Zeiss Distagon T* 2.0/28mm ZF (my favorite focal length, in its most perfect incarnation), commonly called "Hollywood" for its dramatic rendering

Also Zeiss Makro-Planar T* 2.0/100mm ZF, but I already own that one and luv it to bits.

11. john.margetts

john.margetts No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos OK to edit
    Can't say I ever exactly lust after lenses but I intend to buy a x-500 mm zoom in the very near future. Finances mean that it is likely to be second hand so which lens depends on what is available at the time.

12. jcdeboever

jcdeboever TPF Supporters Supporting Member

Photos OK to edit

Wish my wife would hurry up and buy me the 105mm micro.