what lenses will fit my camera

batich

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I was disappointed when i ordered a vivitar series 1 28-90 mm F/2.8-3.5 MF lens, which falsely stated it would fit canon cameras (it does not fit my t3i). I was not aware that some lenses only fit specific models. can someone enlighten me? I would like a lens that goes down to a low f-stop, but I have a limited budget. recommendations?

Your T3i will accept EF-S and EF mount lenses. I have an old vivitar lens that I mount on my Canon but it requires and adapter to convert it to an EF lens mount.

Your T3i will accept EF-S and EF mount lenses. I have an old vivitar lens that I mount on my Canon but it requires and adapter to convert it to an EF lens mount.

what type of adaptor should i search for? I'm confused what type of mount a vivitar is?

Old canon cameras had a different mounting system (FD mounts). When canon introduced the EOS system the mount was redesigned and designated EF and more recently EF-S. Any EF or EF-S will fit your T3i.

So it probably does fit some canon cameras just not your canon camera.

The good news is you can buy a cheap converter on ebay (will also cost you one stop of light, but confirm which mounting system the lens takes first. Another option would be to get a hard conversion done (the lens doctor does them) but that is more costly.

Unfortunatley good fast glass simply isn't cheap. God knows I've tried to find ways round it to but fact is that beyond the economical nifty fifty things get expensive fast.

it says c/fd on it. would an FD-EF adaptor work?

once i buy an adaptor, that and the lens would cost me $50 total. which is still a deal in my opinion. but for the same price would it better just to return this lens and buy a different one which is similar? Most lens that i see are at least $100, but what's the better deal?

Unfortunatley good fast glass simply isn't cheap. God knows I've tried to find ways round it to but fact is that beyond the economical nifty fifty things get expensive fast.

This. The new 50mm f/1.8 STM is $129 and is really the only $100 lens that I would suggest. Even the good used glass is going to set you back hundreds if not thousands.

The trouble with old canon glass tends to be that:

1. The good glass is still expensive

2. If you've found some sharp old glass you still need a converter which will loose you a stop of light anyway (making it not that fast anymore)

Or 3. you need to pay for a hard conversion which will get you about 1/2 to 2/3rds of the way to a new lens anyway.

Saying that I got lucky and found an old 135mm f2.5 that had already had the conversion done on ebay going cheap but they are very few and far between.

Be aware that there are FD-EF adapters - and there are FD-EF adapters.

The Canon FD mount and the modern EF mount use different Flange Focal Distances (FFD).
Consequently, to maintain infinity focus an adapter must have a glass element to correct for the differing FFD. The glass element would add cost to that kind of adapter.
An adapter without a glass element to correct for the differing FFD will be less expensive, but the lens will not be able to focus at infinity using that kind of adapter.

Last edited:
For anybody who is not a serious, dedicated enthusiast, or a very experienced, practiced shooter, I do NOT recommend adapted lenses on d-slr cameras like the Canon you own...the reason being diaphragm actuation and focus ascertainment are both sticky wickets...it's just a big PITA to use something like a variable aperture,short focal length lens on a d-slr body. The focus ascertainment is the big problem on cameras like yours.

If my memory serves me correctly,there was a common, affordable 28-90mm zoom lens made a decade or so back....often sold by Ritz camera under their store brand name....a Canon EF mount model ought to come in at $100 or less.

Most reactions

Back