What Macro Lens Could Do This?

The photographers skill and experience is what makes this shot special to you. There are many truly great lenses out there, but..........

Marc

I honestly dont know, but im assuming a Canon 100mm or 180mm macro lenses can do that...

Marc was correct.... it was the photographer that made that shot.

Pretty much any macro lens could have been used.

[edit] geesh....... did any of you go through the links? Holy cow, some serious macro there.... I never saw any reference to Canon, but it was mostly in a language i am ignorant of..... Russian maybe?

Last edited:
The Nikorr 105 Micro can do that as well. It all depends on what you want to spend. Then there are bellows and other techiques.

That was taken with a Nikon D200 on a Manfrotto 055PRO tripod with a Rodenstock Rodagon 80mm f/4 enlarging lens attached to a Novoflex macro bellows. Taken by Martin Amm

:)shock: That shot is in the May issue of Pop Photo :))

Last edited:
Well that beats us all ;)
However I doubt that one could easily get a shot like that with a straight macro lens without cropping from the original shot - which of course is not ideal as its cutting down on overall image usage.

I have use a 1.4 teleconverter on a Sigma 150mm macro lens to get a result like the following:
3230171598_d923e6f125.jpg

which looks to be similar to the magnification that the other setup is getting - possibly a little less - so maybe a 2*TC backed off just a bit.

As for the clarity that is coming from 3 places:
1) ambient lighting

2) editing - one has to have a good image first, but good editing can give that extra punch that is seen in many shots

3) flash - this is not always needed as ambient lighting can be used if one has a good enough light source and reflectors, but flash is often used and a good solid flash setup can give a very big increase to overall image quality

Oh and the water is probably from one of hte following sources:

1) early morning dew - early morning also very likley since this was a tripod shot and dragons don't always hang around - this early morning for when insects are still cold from the night and not yet warmed up and active.

2) rainfall - just after a rainstorm - colder weather so the insect is more likley to be a bit more docile as it again has to warm up.

3) spraycan - though it would certainly need to have a colder insect to start with - morning again - the water in the sprayer (clearly not pointed right at the bug) used to add more water to the scene - the bug staying still as its cold

Not some people catch bugs and fridge them to get them slow - its not something that I do and many other macro shooters also tend to refrain from it as the bugs do not alway recover from the effect - besides in the field is much more fun and early mornings won't kill you (heck you might even see some nice sunrises :))

What I mean is what lens can get that close and sharp, physically speaking.

There are a variety of lenses out there that can get you that close. As far as set-up, my best guess on that shot was early morning, and using a squirt bottle set on mist to cover him with droplets. You can catch dew covered bugs that are pretty sluggish first thing in the morning, but that shot looks like quite a bit of water to be just dew.

Similar to Overread's...I posted it in a previous thread...... It was taken with a 105mm f/2.8, and it wasn't even down to 1:1. I tried to get a little closer after this shot, but he didn't care for that & took off.

dragon21m.jpg

That was taken with a Nikon D200 on a Manfrotto 055PRO tripod with a Rodenstock Rodagon 80mm f/4 enlarging lens attached to a Novoflex macro bellows. Taken by Martin Amm

:)shock: That shot is in the May issue of Pop Photo :))

Yeah, I saw this in Pop Photo, but didn't see how it was made.

There are a variety of lenses out there that can get you that close. As far as set-up, my best guess on that shot was early morning, and using a squirt bottle set on mist to cover him with droplets. You can catch dew covered bugs that are pretty sluggish first thing in the morning, but that shot looks like quite a bit of water to be just dew. ...
Nope. Other than the usual minor adjustments, it is "as was." Don't have time right now to look for it, but the article may be posted on Popular Photography's Web site.

I'm looking around for extension tube. The price I found for the Kenko extension tube is about $160. Then there are cheapie extension tube on ebay that's like $10.

Since there is no glass in the extension tube, does it make a difference between the kenko and the cheapie tube?

Most reactions

New Topics

Back