What makes a DSLR "entry level"

MacHoot

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I don't get why everyone considers a canon 550 an entry level DSLR. Is it price or am I missing the boat on the more expensive models with the same sensor that is on mine.

What features does a say....60d have that the 550 is missing?

Okay...never mind....I found a site. lol

Wow...I gotta start saving my pennies.

Focus points(number and placement), focus accuracy, focus speed, external controls, build quality, shutter life, continuous shooting speed, weather sealing, sensor size, sensor performance(i.e. noise), external flash control, etc, etc.

lol No doubt. Wow

Canon EOS 60D
Canon Rebel T2i
Not bad...I'm happy with my decision not to put my wife up for mortgage.....For now. lol

I don't get why everyone considers a canon 550 an entry level DSLR. Is it price or am I missing the boat on the more expensive models with the same sensor that is on mine.

It's based on someones opinion on what demographics a particular product should be marketed in.

It's based on someones opinion on what demographics a particular product should be marketed in.

Totally not true. As you go up in models you have additional features and capabilities as the OP already found out

Totally not true. As you go up in models you have additional features and capabilities as the OP already found out

This is true....I kept reading about how my camera has the same sensor as the other cameras but didn't take into consideration the other aspects of the full frame models.

If it's full frame it doesn't have the same sensor as yours.

Well more expensive frame.

In fact it’s getting increasing difficult to regard the Digital Rebel series as cameras only for “beginners”. For example, Canon has put an 18MP CMOS sensor in the T2i. This is the same resolution as the sensor in the “top of the line” EOS 7D and is the highest pixel count currently found in any DSLR as well as having the highest native resolution (smallest pixel spacing) of any DSLR (including full frame models).

Quoted from Canon Rebel T2i Review - photo.net

In fact it’s getting increasing difficult to regard the Digital Rebel series as cameras only for “beginners”. For example, Canon has put an 18MP CMOS sensor in the T2i. This is the same resolution as the sensor in the “top of the line” EOS 7D and is the highest pixel count currently found in any DSLR as well as having the highest native resolution (smallest pixel spacing) of any DSLR (including full frame models).

Quoted from Canon Rebel T2i Review - photo.net
Turns out, it's not all about pixel count. The size of the pixels, the algorithims used, the efficiency of those pixels are all different. The megapixel war is just about over. At this point, it's nothing short of a marketing gimick.

Oh, my D700 only has 12 megapixels...does that make your T2i better? And fwiw, the 7d is nowhere close to 'top of the line'. It's not even in the same ballpark as 'top of the line', and 18 megapixels isn't anywhere close to the highest pixel count currently found in any DSLR.

I'm afraid you need to look at some more updated reviews or change your sources.

I'm not saying better or worse....just wondering the difference in labeling them "Entry Level" vs "Pro"

Most reactions

New Topics

Back