What makes a good Macro photo?

AlexisRhea

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I love doing macro shots, but it occurred to me that I'm not really sure what makes a macro great. I suppose it depends on subject matter. Do you want to see the entire subject - say a flower for example, or do you want to see the details more than anything? Tell me O Wise Ones. :D I seek enlightenment.

And for the sake of discussions of examples, should I post in the general gallery or could I do it here?

Thanks in advance! :heart:

The things that make a good macro are no different from any other photo. Try to obey the rule of thirds, and make a pleasing and interesting image. Try to remove elements that distract from the subject. Most definitely watch your focus too because macro gives you a very tiny depth of field.

As mentioned, the most important thing could be focus. It is not easy to get the focus right at macro.

Then I also agree in that there is nothing in particular to mention for macro photography; as in any picture, an interesting subject, interesting perspective, originality, try to show your own way of looking, etc.

Between the two aspects that you mention, I would prefer going to some detail rather than taking the entire subject. But this is only a general/abstract comment that may not necessarily apply, of course

Thanks for the responses!
Okay, so focus is the top priority. :) Maybe I should ask what makes a macro a macro? Is it just the DOF?

Thanks!

Thanks for the responses!
Okay, so focus is the top priority. :) Maybe I should ask what makes a macro a macro? Is it just the DOF?

Thanks!
I don't think its just DOF alone. that certainly helps. but i think showing the detail and the texture of something is really the most important. but of course to get that just right you have to have the focus dead on!

From a beginners point of view, there's no recipie for photos. I think that as long as the photo looks good, you and other people like it, then it's all good. If its creative and touches people in some way - even better.

Actually does a formal definition for macro exist? I know the Nikkor 35-105mm f3.5-4.5 is defined as Macro. It has a reproduction ratio of 1:1.6 and is not a true macro lens by any stretch.

Is there a boundry anyone knows of?

Most reactions

Back