What makes a good photograph?

Just like anything art, it is subjective and impossible to put into words: "In the eye of the beholder" we all say. So for me, a good photograph is one I can stand next to and be proud that I created it. If you must pin me to a more definite answer, I would have to say composition... pleasing composition.

Keep in mind... there is a difference between a good or even a great photograph from a "Successful" one.. this is especially true in commercial photography. I'm sure thousands of great photographs are never seen because they don't quite meet the goals set forth.

I for one can't stand most of Picasso's work but he is considered one of History's greatest artists.... I'm sure there a lot of people who can't stand my work either.

The first step - and it is a big one - is to learn how to look at pictures (and not be influenced by the subject matter).

I didn't want to let this sentence go by without repeating it. Too many times, particularly in photography, we read comments along the lines of 'what a cute kid' or 'I love horses/dogs/flowers/etc. and your ..... are so beautiful." The viewers are bringing their emotions to the image - and not expecting or requiring the image to generate the emotions in the viewer.

My goal is to be able to look at any picture and ignore my own attachment to the subject in evaluating it.

Basically 'good' can be defined as 'what does the job you want it to do.

Nothing more to be said, but that I agree.

A good photograph is intended to convey a message, theme, impression, or an emotion. This is done by drawing the viewer's attention to the subject, a clear, distinct center of interest or emphasis without distractions.
Just as important as knowing what to include in a photograph is knowing what to exclude. The message conveyed by a photograph can be ruined or lessened by unecessary distractions. When looking at a photographer's work, do you find yourself regularly drawn away from the subjects by unnecessary elements?
In model photography & portraiture, attention should be very clearly drawn to the subject. The subject of the photograph should be sharp & clearly focused (unless otherwise intended). There is no excuse for fuzzy photography unless it is deliberately done.
The lighting in a scene or on a subject in a photograph has a tremendous impact. Lighting is used to draw attention to or away from elements in a photograph. :p

It is probably answered by an experience I had at an art gallery. Their flagship image was a huge panorama of the Story Bridge in brisbane. They loved it and it was the largest painting in the gallery. I personaly found it one of the most boring pictures I have seen in a long time.

So what makes a good picture for me is a picture that says something or has (I won't say wow effect from risk of being sued by microsoft) something that just makes you stop and stare, wonder, think and gaze in awe.

for me I know I'm looking at good picture if i cant move on from it or keep goin back.

This can be for many reasons, mostly the subject, or the execution.

I think it's lines. and shapes.

I like symmetry. Look out for lines that lead the viewer's eyes. =)

There are a million more things but these were the only ones that I could think of and "quantify".

In a short innacurate answer:

-Good color replication
-vibrant saturated colors
-sharpness
-balance (don't do centered, it's visually unexciting)
-subject matter
(Either shoot something you don't see everyday, or make something usual seem new and excitig, or capture the cliche, but beautiful objects, sunsets, flowers, etc.)

It goes so much deeper than that though.

In a short innacurate answer:

which you maybe just gave to provoke discussion :p

-Good color replication

True in product photography. In all other cases only if intended to replicate reality one to one.

-vibrant saturated colors

This somewhat contradicts your good colour replication. If you want to depict the scene as it was (for whatever reason) ... it might have very dull colours.

Oh, and this rules our B&W / Sepia ;)

-sharpness

If intended. For most standard landscape shots where you want to show a place in much detail this is certainly true.

Not necessarily true in creative photography.

-balance (don't do centered, it's visually unexciting)

Wrong. Some images need to be well balanced to work. And that might mean "centered" for the main subject. For others having it off centre is best.
Many highly symmetric abstract shots with clear lines can be ruined by going off centre.

-subject matter
(Either shoot something you don't see everyday, or make something usual seem new and excitig, or capture the cliche, but beautiful objects, sunsets, flowers, etc.)

make something usual seem new and excitig actually contradicts your statement that the subject matters ;)
A photograph of a good subject is not necessarily a good photograph (although it might attract a lot of applause) ..

Most reactions

Back