what makes a good photographer?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Abstract

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
In your words what makes a good photographer? I'm sure we all have wondered this at some time, I'm curious as to everyones thoughts. Look forward to reading your replies :hugs:

That's a very big question. The problem with answering it is that everyone has a different interpretation of what makes a good photographer. At first I might answer "someone who takes good pictures" but then have to get into what makes a good picture. If someone takes pictures of only sunsets and flower and the pictures look great I wouldn't necessarily consider them a good photographer because the subject matter it what contains the beauty, not the photo.

In my opinion a good photographer is someone who can convey a message or emotion on film (or digital) but also takes takes into account aesthetics considerations such as depth of field, lighting, color or black and white, etc...

Photography is an art, a craft that few master. But if you are one of the handfull that it can be said is in fact a master of thier art, then you are truly a great photographer. Most photographers take pictures, good photographers make photographs, great photographers produce masterpieces.

Depends as to the context of 'good photographer'.
A good portrait photographer possesses different qualities and skills to a good advertising photographer, who in turn has different skills and qualities to a medical photographer who, in turn, has... and so on.
In professional terms, and from the view of an editor, a 'good' photographer is someone who can hit a deadline. From an Art Director's PoV it's one who does as he's told. And from the client's PoV it's one who can read their mind :lol:

This question is a bit like asking 'what makes a good doctor?'
The answer is 'if you wake up next morning and you're still alive, then he's a good doctor.' ;)

And being basically a humourous sort of person I often post things that are light hearted or not be taken seriously (insert here the appropriate smillie so people know I'm being a joker and to treat my comments with the levity they deserve).

Is that so mr know-it-all! :lmao:
Hey that rhymes too, man am i good!

An artist who can produce an image that makes most people feel what it was intended for them to feel... But that is a very personal opinion.

In my opinion, creativity is a good start. If you're able to make something that appears boring into something that people will turn their heads at, then i think thats good photography in itself. I suppose thats along the same lines as what Liz said though.
But really there are so many definitions of a good photographer.

You've got to first define what 'good' is. ;)

Hertz van Rental said:
In professional terms, and from the view of an editor, a 'good' photographer is someone who can hit a deadline. From an Art Director's PoV it's one who does as he's told. And from the client's PoV it's one who can read their mind :lol:

...and convert it to cmyk and use spellcheck on your captions. I am fully laughing out loud! Anyway, I think a good photographer is the one with a 5 thousand dollar dollar camera (still LOL). In all seriousness I think it is a very personal decision and or journey.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back