What makes him so good?

Discussion in 'Beyond the Basics' started by elementgs, Nov 24, 2015.

1. goob4114

goob4114 TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    What's with all the hating? It's just embarrassing. If the photographer didn't like what he was doing, he probably wouldn't do it. The fact that YOU don't like it could not be any more irrelevant. Making a point to let the world know that YOU don't like it as if YOUR opinion is preferred or somehow superior over someone else in an artistic field where preferences are INHERENTLY different is just childish - and ironic. It's art. If everyone's preferences were the same, art would be very boring.

As for the OP's original question, I don't know. Nobody does because it's not something you are supposed to be able to answer. You either like it or you don't. Apparently, a lot of people do. Why? Because it speaks to them in some way. Ultimately, it's none of your business why - I don't mean that in an arrogant way. I look at a picture, and I like it because it speaks to me in a personal way. I don't need to justify it to you. Nobody does. I will say - I wish my pictures looked that good.

• Like Like x 3
  2. Vtec44

Vtec44 Been spending a lot of time on here!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Haters gonna hate. He shoots what he loves, and share it with people that value it. Apparently, 185,000 people on Instagram like his work enough. :D

• Like Like x 1
  3. imagemaker46

imagemaker46 Been spending a lot of time on here!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    I think there are some nice images there, would I hang one on my wall, no, but others will. It comes down to personal taste. I like that he is playing with different angles, some work, others don't. Some look like he stopped the car got out and banged off a few tourist frames, others look like they were well planned out and took time. It all ends up looking the the same as many other's I've seen. But then lots of people say the same about my images.

4. fotodoug

fotodoug TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Goob4114 couldn't be more right. Why does it make you feel better to tear down someone?...does that make your pics better?

5. JacaRanda

JacaRanda Hobbyist Birdographer

Photos OK to edit
    For some people getting likes and popularity are why they take the photos which is done for 'yourself'. One in the same.

6. JacaRanda

Photos OK to edit
    Ooopsie. Did not complete reading the thread before I commented similarly.

7. JacaRanda

Photos OK to edit
    I really haven't seen much if anything here I consider hate. Rather several that state his work is not particularly a style they like.
    Is not okay to do that?

8. fotodoug

fotodoug TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    I worked hard, I had good images, I had a successful studio, but that damned Richard Avedon....

9. elementgs

elementgs No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos OK to edit
    So it's been a while since I created this thread and in that time, I did my own little experiment.

I went through and selected one of my "reject" photos and applied a hipsterish filter to it and posted it to Reddit.

I'd say the results speak for themselves. It's kinda sad really because I don't really like the photo at all but that one photo yielded more views in less than 24 hours (it crossed 1 million in 24 hours) than my entire portfolio did all of last year.

So there is definitely something to be said about the style of his work being popular with the current denizens of the Internet.

I hate this photo btw.. lol.. look, even the horizon is slightly tilted.. it has so many flaws I want to delete it and yet, front page of Reddit/All, 5000 upvotes and 1 million views. Kinda says a lot.

[​IMG]

10. fotodoug

fotodoug TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Let me understand this...you hate your own work? When you apply "hipsterish" filters to your photo, people love it! It seems that you have a bad case of ENVY for someone whose work you don't even like! If you spent half as much time promoting your work as you do shouting "LOOK AT ME, LOOK AT ME....I'M GOOD TOO!!!", maybe you'd get somewhere. There will always be people better, and worse than you, in all things....stop whining.

11. Peeb

Peeb Semi-automatic Mediocrity Generator Supporting Member

Photos OK to edit
    BTW, if there is a 'hipsterish' filter available which would transform my images from ignored to 1 million views overnight....

what, again, was the name of said filter if I may inquire? o_Oo_Oo_O

I'll take three.

12. paigew

paigew Been spending a lot of time on here!

Photos NOT OK to edit

What do you hate about that photo. That seems to be a pretty silly experiment. It's a nice photo of a sunny beach. Actually a gorgeous beach that any one could appreciate.