What makes you go with film in this day of age?

You know what sucks I planned on taking a class but you have to have digital... For some reason Photo II is film...

I'll be comparing it with films like Tech Pan, T-Max 100, Portra 160 NC, Astia, Portra 800 etc.

I'll be more interested in the post-processed results than in the straight-from-camera comparisons - it is the final image that matters, so I'll be doing some comparisons with noise reduction applied to the film images. There's no such thing as an unprocessed digital image, of course. That prompts me to try different Raw converters as well. It's growing like Topsy*.

My purpose will not really be to decide which is overall 'better', just which is most suitable for the sorts of things I do, and the sort of qualities I look for in the final image. It's an obvious statement, but film cameras can use all sorts of film while the D3 only has one sensor.

If my aim is the highest quality landscape camera in the smallest, lightest unit, how will the D3 stack up against the film cameras I have available? The film/sensor speed will not matter.

How will the D3 perform against pushed Portra 800 in low light according to my requirements?

I think I know the answer to some of these questions already, and I don't expect to be abandoning film anytime soon.

If any of you have suggestions or requests about method, materials or whatever, feel free to offer them.

Best,
Helen

* Like Topsy - growing of its own accord The original Topsy was the little slave-girl in Harriet Beecher Stowe's Uncle Tom's Cabin (1852): 'Do you know who made you?' 'Nobody, as I knows on,' said the child, with a short laugh ... 'I 'spect I grow'd'.
Copied from here.

I'm familiar with some of your scanning equipment, so I have a couple technical requests. I would like to see the scans using the 9000 done with the single, as opposed to the three laser, and at least two-pass (I know how long the 16 pass takes...45 minutes for 6x9 @4000dpi), and scanned 1:1 in size ratio. If you have a particular workflow on the 9000, then by all means scan how you normally would-- it's your project. But I'd like to see as many auto options (such as ICE) turned off.

As for films, I would really like to see the following added to that list: Acros, Provia 400, and if you'd be willing, I'd love to send you a roll of Agfa RSX II 50.

Also, could you please keep track of development for the black and whites? i.e. will the TP be developed in Technidol or TD4? Will the Tmax be developed in Tmax? Will the (possible) Acros be done in a t-grain developer?

Additionally, I know you are familiar with some older/more eclectic developers. If you have any interest in trying a roll or two of black and white with staining developers (I'm particularly interested in Prescysol or Pyro HD), that would be killer.

I use an Imacon 949 for the good 35 mm stuff (at up to 8000 ppi) and 4x5 (at 2040 ppi); a Coolscan 9000 for medium format at 4000 ppi (that's all the Coolscans go up to); and a Coolscan 5000 at 4000 ppi and a Minolta Elite 5400 at 5400 ppi for normal 35 mm.

Remember folks, one scanner pixel has three colour channels; all normal still cameras with the exception of those with Foveon-type sensors or scanning backs only sample one colour per pixel.

After the holidays one of my little jobs will be doing a careful comparison between my D3 and various films. How will Nikon lenses on the D3 stack up against the same lenses on a film body, and against Leica lenses on a Leica body?

Best,
Helen

I am VERY interested in seeing those results Helen. Another series I would like to see is the same testing with the D300 as it has about the same pixel density as the D2X. (comparing the results to a APS size film sample) I really think about 21 to 24 MP in F.F. is the max. the better lenses can resolve. This would be the practical limit in 35mm format for digital. The manufacturers will then need to put all there efforts in other features, higher ISO and lower noise. We then will be about back to the era of high end film bodies before digital, JMHO.

"What makes you go with film in this day of age?"

I've got a D70 and a Sony H3 for point and shoot, but I still shoot film sometimes when I just want to have fun.

I just like the way my K1000 feels in my hand, the weight of it is nice. The sound it makes when you press the shutter. Manual focusing can be kind of fun. I like the Holga because of the qualities that make it what it is. Pulling a roll of developed film out of the tank is a nice feeling too.

But if i'm going to a one time event, or just need some pics fast for some reason, i'll use digital to make sure I get the shots I want.

Most reactions

Back