What metering mode do you use?

tecboy

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
San Jose, Cali, The Heart of Silicon Valley
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I use center-weighted average metering most of the times when I shoot a subject. I use evaluative metering when I shoot landscape, buildings, and multiple subjects. Sometimes, I shoot spot metering if the subject is dark and the background is too bright. I have never use partial metering, because I haven't find any use for that.

Just curious, what do you use and why?

Grab shots, snap shots and the like are usually in evaluative metering and Av. When I'm setting up a planned shot, then I use a combination of incident light meter readings, and spot-meter for highlights and shadows, with settings on manual. If I'm using fill flash on camera, then it's usually ETTR, -1 FC, evaluative metering and Av. If using off-camera flash in a studio setting, then I set the aperture for DOF, set the flash power using the flash meter, and set the shutter speed depending on how much ambient I want in the image. In this scenario, camera's on manual and camera's exposure meter isn't used. If I'm getting really anal about some imagery, then I tether the camera to my laptop and use the EOS utility to display the live-view image on a good monitor running off the laptop. Test shots are then made, uploaded, viewed in detail (histo, sharpness, focus placement, etc.) and adjustments made to light sources, fill, and exposure. So... whatever it takes to get the image I want with the least amount of effort.

I use center-weighted average metering most of the times when I shoot a subject. I use evaluative metering when I shoot landscape, buildings, and multiple subjects. Sometimes, I shoot spot metering if the subject is dark and the background is too bright. I have never use partial metering, because I haven't find any use for that.

Just curious, what do you use and why?

Matrix Metering. I use it so I can run up the side of walls and dodge bullets. Plus it just sounds cool.

I use center-weighted a good deal, and usually set the sensitivity circle's size to 10mm. I also use Matrix for run-n-gun stuff. The last time I used spot metering was by accident, in 2001.

I use Centered Metering alot. I did until I messed up some shoots of landscape when I was accidentally metereing into a drain pipe. I noticed and changed to Matrix. So now if I'm doing a person/sport I use Centered. If I'm doing something Landscap-ish, then Matrix.

Basically the bigger the target the bigger the metering size.
I'm not sure if this is the optimal method but it's better than how I was doing it before.

Matrix always.

Exposure features of modern cameras are AMAZING these days! I recall using spot + 8 multi spot on my Canon 1dmarkII quite a lot. The Canon's matrix metering system was also fairly accurate. I liked it and I'm sure they have only improved since that time no matter which brand. These days, I use mostly center weighted as I always have in the past (no longer have the Canon). Either that or I shoot a test photo and adjust accordingly in manual... the digital equivalent of using a handheld meter without actually having one.

I use spot a lot of the time, because I generally am shooting people.

Center-weighted normally however like every other setting on my camera it will vary depending on the circumstances.

Try taking a photo of the moon at night, and you will soon switch to spot metering.

John.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back