What mode do you do portraiture in?

westerngirl14

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Just wondering what ya'll do/what is your preference. The only times I've done portraiture, which was just family, I have used "P" on my dial. What about you?

It depends. If I'm just taking photos outside or something, and there's plenty of light, I use Av on my Canon - "A" on Nikons - which is for Aperture Priority. This lets me use a lens wide open, if I want a shallow depth of field, and the camera chooses the shutter speed for the right exposure. Still need to set ISO (you also do this in P mode 'program mode') and if outside and it's bright, I'll go with a low number like 100 or 200. If indoors and with less light I'll use 400 or 800...

Really - if you don't have a really good understanding of how the 'exposure triangle' works - you might want to do your important photos on the automatic modes or the full auto setting. This way you can learn at your pace and let the camera do the thinking for your important photos.

Good luck!

Manual shooting mode with single or multiple off camera flash in manual mode using a telephoto lens. Reflectors and diffusers. And an assistant if I have them available.

I always shoot in manual mode. This is because I have the ability to control my lighting so much more. Even though it with standard portraiture the light doesn't really change, I'm talking about studio conditions, but you still may want to experiment with different lighting and the flash simultaneously.
In the past when I have shot portrait mode specifically for portraits or I have used auto, I always find that my images are under exposed.
I usually find auto has this problem a lot.
Another reason why a shooting manual for portraits is because I can change the ISO if I need to. Cameras that I have don't allow me to change the ISO if I have the shooting mode in automatic. Automatic mode is so restrictive that way it controls absolutely everything. But if you shooting manual you control everything, not the camera.

I'm pretty much the same a reznap. If I'm shooting outside, or somewhere with ideal lighting I use aperture priority. If I'm looking for something specific or the lighting isn't how I want it I shoot manual.

I'm pretty much the same a reznap. If I'm shooting outside, or somewhere with ideal lighting I use aperture priority. If I'm looking for something specific or the lighting isn't how I want it I shoot manual.

When I first started really getting into this I refused to take the camera off "M" because I thought I was cool or something. Now I realize that, either way, the camera's light meter was taking the same reading. With manual, I'd adjust until the light meter read correctly - with Av I don't have to. This is also really nice with the Nikon film camera I use, since focusing manually takes a second longer and I can't afford ($$$$) to be wasting frames on the film.

Also, if I'm unhappy with the exposures, I can adjust compensation really quickly in Av mode by holding down the aperture button and clicking the wheel.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back