What needs to change to enhance these new kitchen/bath renovation pics?

lortechnical

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I would classify my self as a armature but a fast learner. Last time I had a REAL camera was in high-school and involved in developing my pictures.

Anyway, here are some before and after photos of a builder I know who took his own pictures of a condo renovation in downtown Vancouver BC. The pics are perhaps from a cell phone. I have to say, the pictures need some real help. Perhaps the perspective views are not ideal. The kitchen in the after shot only shows the doorway "not really impressed" and does nothing to say for the lack of a view of the kitchen appliances.

What about lighting? I think proper overhead or under counter lighting would really make a difference. He also does not have the ceiling lights on. Outside of those elements, what about the actual picture quality taken? View attachment 45870View attachment 45871

Here is the bathroom. At least he has the lights on in the bathroom. What about the zoom and angle of the pictures? Again, grainy pics of bathroom. Can they be enhanced?View attachment 45872View attachment 45873

Thanks for your input. I do use Gimp on occasion and want to know, what elements can be used to enhance these photos...or perhaps, a reshot with a real camera is in order?

Last edited by a moderator:
There's really not much you can do at this point to 'save' the shots. They really should be retaken under better conditions.

Shoot at night so you can control the lighting. Sunlight streaming in a window or skylight looks like he11. Bring in some good strobelights and a variety of modifiers. You could use a wider field of view, then adjust for keystoning in post.

If you want to turn on the existing lighting, you're going to introduce a different color temperature unless you gel your artificial light.

Having control over light for unknown or unexpected situations like this requires Flash and not the pop-up kind.
More flashes the Better but a flash off-shoe controlled by camera which you didn't mention what camera.

But for Nikon a SB-700 would be a great start. Add a Light stand and umbrella,soft box and reflectors will go far into adding even lighting to indoors. Some indoors may require more than one flash.

Without flash next best setup is shooting with even wider lens capability. And shoot on a Tripod will increase your ability to get the shot. As handheld with slower variable f-stop kit lenses with pop-up flash is mediocre at best.

Next time, turning on the lights in these spaces would help and create more warmth. Also, wide angle lenses would help tremendously.

Wow thanks for the quick response. The builder is doing well but...that was in good times. Condo sales are starting to soften and he will need to make his after pictures look more enticing to get that bling effect. The suggestions all of you are stating would result in pictures like these? Bathroom Design Ideas, Pictures, Remodel and Decor

He also needs a interior decorator to add the final touches...that woman want to see. His pictures appear to look like he just finished laying the last tile, cleaned up then took the picture. Bathroom Design Ideas, Pictures, Remodel and Decor

What camera should I consider for taking remodel pictures ?

Whats your budget?

And of more concern would be what lens and what lighting to use, assuming you are talking about an interchangeable lens camera like a DSLR.

Last edited:
The camera you use (assuming, as mentioned, that it is at least a basic, entry-level DSLR) is virtually irrelevant. The lens(es) and lighting are all important. To shoot spaces such as the kitchen area in the first two images I would expect to use anywhere from 2-5 speedlights tucked here and there, and gelled to match the roomlights. Getting good-quality interior shots is not as easy as many people might think.

Welcome to the business. A small bathroom can be the hardest room of the house to photograph. Depending on the distribution of reflective areas I often set a strobe just inside the doorway pointed at the ceiling (hopefully white or at least neutral) and find it provides a pleasing lighting effect after it bounces around inside the small room. I place my camera in the doorway, or even slightly outside, usually with a wide angle 10-20mm. The camera placement should be carefully considered to minimize distortion which can easily exceed the limits of post processing capabilities. Typically, I remove the bathroom door if it swings into the bath to simplify the setup and all lights get turned on. Just imagine how much better the last shot would look without the door handle and with the shower door opened to hide the photographer's reflection.

So much for being easy because it doesn't move.

Most reactions

Back