What new lenses should i buy?

what price range is that Canon 500D close-up filter in. maybe thats worth trying before i jump $400 into a lens
I got a 77mm sized 500D for I think $130 or so. I got the big size so that I'd be able to use it on any lens I ended up getting. For my 70-300VR which has 67mm filter threads, I got a good sturdy B+W solid metal made in Germany 67 -> 77mm step-up ring. The 500D is a solid chunk of glass so it's definitely worth it to get a sturdy step-up ring that you won't worry about breaking.

Most people don't realize it, but the standard 18-55 kit lenses (both nikon and canon) will focus pretty closely too at 1:3.2. True life-sized macro is 1:1, but some other manufacturer like Sigma say "macro" at the same 1:3 that your kit lens will already do, so you could try that as well for nuthin'. :)

what do you guys think of the Sigma 70-300mm f/4-5.6 DG Macro (Canon AF) Is that going to give me any advantage over the 75-300 i already have? they run like $175 or i can get a Canon 100mm 2.8 Macro for $425

Well the canon 100mm will beat the sigma completly in the macro department. The sigma is not a true macro lens as it can only focus to 1:2 whilst the 100mm focuses to 1:1 (that means that the size of the subject is exactle the same in real life as it is on the sensor) Which means the 100mm macro will be getting the really close up insect macro that you often see.

Aside from that the 100mm macro works well as a portrate lens. The sigma does a little bit of everything and as its also a budget lens its not really very good at anything - its soft at the 300mm end and does not have the reach of better 300mm lenses (up to around 6m and then you have to be on a tripod to get anything decent).
The canon 100mm on the other hand is a very good macro dedicated lens.

However if macro is your thing then consider also the sigma line of dedicated macro lenses (you can tell them are all dedicated macro lenses are primes and not zooms). They have a 100mm, 150mm (not too much more than the canon 100mm and it comes with a lens hood and tripod bracket which the canon does not) and the 180mm

85 f/1.8 or 100 f/2.0 (or the 2.8 macro one) are great lenses to have.

the Lense mav recommended would give you full versatility as well.

The EF-S 10-22mm ultra-wide would definitely come in handy. That and a good tripod and I think you're set.

I agree, 100%. You need a nice ultra wide lens to catch some of that pretty scenery (I'm thinking a nice complete shot of the houseboat).
And don't forget the filters to go with.

oh man!
If someone said to me that they'd buy me ALL the accessories and/or lenses I need to take good photos of a vacation that they're taking ME on...why, you have NO IDEA how long my list of "needs" would all of a sudden become.:lmao:
You are so lucky.

for the wide angle lense i think iv settled with the sigma 10-20 mm due to it being alot cheaper i hope that it dosnt disapoint me

for the wide angle lense i think iv settled with the sigma 10-20 mm due to it being alot cheaper i hope that it dosnt disapoint me

I tried a side by side with the sigma 10-20 and the canon 10-22 -- I had the money for either, but bought the Sigma as I liked it better. I've been very happy with it.

walkway.jpg

A solid tripod should be at the top of your list. A good one new with ball head is a bit pricey (especially if you want a quick release clamp), but you will use it forever. If you have alot of money to spend, look at carbon fiber (very light), but wow do they cost alot. Lots of good tripods are on ebay -- I got my Bogen 3021/Gitzo Ball mount/Gitzo QR clamp and plate for about $250. Heavy, but built like a battleship. Remember, too --- If you buy a tripod, you are going to want a remote shutter cable for the camera so you don't always need to use the timer. Lots of those for Canon on ebay and not much $$ (although the Canon OEM version isn't cheap).

... oh, if you have anything left over from your shopping spree ... PM me and I'll send you a shipping address :) ...

Most reactions

New Topics

Back