What On Earth ?

I'm not sure where I come down on this issue. I can see valid points on both sides.

Last month I visited a small city in southern Louisiana, an area not terribly famous for lack of crime or universally beneficent police officers. I woke up at 1:00 am in my motel room, couldn't get back to sleep, and decided to go take some pictures.

So, between 1:30 and 2:30 am I was schlepping a dslr complete with a 70-210 lens, tripod and trusty cable release down the street taking photographs of homes and businesses. I jaywalked several times. I saw several police cars cruising but none stopped to speak with me. You can even look at the pictures <G> (they aren't great photographs) http://public.fotki.com/BigHatPix/on-bayou-teche/

I don't assert this is a wise practice on several fronts. And I certainly won't recommend this to anyone. But I had zero problems. I parked directly in front of the police station and when squad car passed I'd stop and be attentive should the officer wish to speak with me. These behaviors were deliberate on my part but don't strike me as particularly intrusive.

This is only my personal experience on one particular night. No cute and cuddly Googles were harmed or exploited in the production of this post. I don't think I'm proving anything with this posting. Well, maybe one small thing. A previous poster was obliged to link to an outside url that included some interesting assertions about jackbooted thug police being behind every bush in the country. I didn't find that to be the case.

Most reactions

Back