What other websites do you use for photosharing?

TheMightyGoat

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Hope this isn't against any rules to post other photography sites. I just wanted to see what other sites people use.

I've tried flickr but my photos never got any views or comments. Seems like unless you already know a dozen people on there, or you just spam people with your links, there's no way to generate discussion.

Deviant Art is mostly for people who like to play with Photoshop filters, and has the same problem as flickr.

MySpace is a joke.

This site is the only one I've found so far that generates some useful feedback. There are other photography forums, too, but I don't know of any that have this level of traffic.

Anyone have any other useful sites for generating discussion?

You have to remember the larger the community the more networking you have to do to get noticed. On flickr and Deviant Art the communities are massive and thus there is a lot of work on there - so if getting views and results out of it are your intention then you have to put the ground work in.
Find some interesting (and active) groups to join, though most are handout prize groups there are some which are worth joining (search for critique groups and the like).
Give you images titles and also write about them below - give your viewers something to search for and something to read when they see your image.
Talk to others in groups - start discussions and more - of course remaining relevant to the groups you are in

Don't spam your details to 50 people begging for comments 0 or to groups either - its bad form and will likley just get you blacklisted and possibly kicked out.

TPF actually has a very large member base in comparison to many forums, so networking is still a key aspect of the site

in the end we have to put a little effort into getting noticed in order to get the rewards out

Indeed. I've managed to get a couple thousand views on Flickr (or, so their stats say anyway) in the month and a half I've been posting. Here's what I did/do, and hopefully you might get some ideas of your own:

I just jumped into a few groups, and started chatting in the discussions. I also post my photos to any groups I can find where they'd be relevant, without spamming their pools (also bad form; picking one really good shot is better than a bunch of them when enticing people to view your stuff). On Flickr, adding other people as "contacts" (assuming you like their work) is also a good and easy way to generate some views; assuming they like your work too, they may very well add you as a contact themselves.

If you have Facebook, Twitter, or some other social networking tool, telling your friends about your photography indirectly is a good idea too. For one, they're more interested by default because they actually know you. Try posting in your Facebook status or on Twitter that you've put more photos on Flickr when you upload, and always provide a link in the post. That's bound to generate a few views.

I like to keep an album on Facebook called "A Sampling of my Flickr Photostream". I limit it to a maximum of six of my photos, and whenever I upload new ones, I delete one or two of the old and add one or two of the new, "publishing" the new ones so that they show-up in people's news feeds. I also include the title and a link to the photo on Flickr in the caption. Having the link there increases the likelihood someone will click through to Flickr and check-out more photos.

Lastly, I enter a photo into the This Week in Photography (a reasonably interesting podcast) monthly photo contest. Whenever I upload a photo there, it gets at least a few dozen views; probably partly because people are looking for ideas themselves.

actually facebook has a cool way to 'update' all your friends on your recent flickr activity...it's in the settings menu right under the "what's on your mind?" box, where you fill in your status.

if it wasnt blocked at work, i would provide a screenshot. :D

Facebook also has the MyFlickr App, which usually updates your facebook page when you add pics to flickr. I have found flickr a lot of fun, and like said above, have recieved more exposure than I ever thought I would, particularly from groups, and a couple invite only groups. Aslo getting to know a few of the members here a little more through flickr. But generally you do have to put out, to get back :D

Most reactions

New Topics

Back