What Photographer Inspires You?

I find myself to be a constant inspiration. :D

Seriously though, any time I see a photograph I like, I feel inspired. I hate being a critic, so I tend to either like a photograph or I hate it.

I try to find the elements in my inspiration that I find most pleasing, then try to look for them the next time I go out shooting.

Gary Burdick, my undergrad photog BW prof. He was an older guy who had many stories similar to mine (of his younger life). He actually reminded me of what I might be like when I was older. In any case he didn’t have diagnosed Alzheimer’s but he would talk about using his photography to remember things he had forgotten. He encouraged me to shoot often as I had told him one of my few actual fears in life is not being able to remember things from my past. I guess i never really thought about this question till now and was able to come with a response fairly easily.

The names that quickly comes to my mind are HCB, Elliott Erwitt, Rodney Smith and Chema Madoz.

Craig, this month's Rangefinder has a cool article on Jay Maisel. Click here for the pdf if you are interested.

Thanks for the article about Jay. I am sure we will be drooling over it at the parer tomorrow. More importantly I am awe struck by the work of Chema Madoz.

Love & Bass

Funny thing that , I don't know any. I know the name David Bailey going back to the 80s but that's coz he did a TV ad for something, probably perfume or smokes. I get the feeling it was something smelly and overpowering.

However I do give a reflexive full attention to anybody with a camera when they're talking shop. That's probably why I'm hooked on this site atm.

oh and Brian Adams, the guitarist I got into in about '85 has since turned photographer but I also have never knowingly seen a single pic from him either.

Lately, and I struggle to admit it, I was by force of my wife to be watching "Americas top model", oh what a load of cra... wait a minute, I really wanna hear what the photographer has to say about the model...

;0)

Malachite inspires me because he is by far a better photographer than I am and he's my objective eye when I'm too close to my work to see what I need to work on. Hertz inspires me because he truly encourages (makes) me to analyze my work myself before discussing how to improve it. He doesn't have to post a single photo - it's clear that he knows his stuff and is the most valuable asset on TPF today IMHO. Mapplethorpe because of his incredible use of light and that he was always true to himself - Even when dealing with incredible scrutiny & controversy.

I really do not have anyone person. Lots of photos inspire me. It may be a geart Sports shot, or an image of a tornado tearing up a home, or even a simple child image posted here on this forum. The photographer that took these images may be a pro or a hobbiest. But it does not matter as long as the image touches me in some way.

Hertz inspires me because he truly encourages (makes) me to analyze my work myself before discussing how to improve it. He doesn't have to post a single photo - it's clear that he knows his stuff and is the most valuable asset on TPF today IMHO.

The cheque is in the post :lovey:

I second Steve McCurry. Also, Corey Rich...amazing adventure photographer.

Franz Lanting inspired me more than any other .

Sebastiao Salgado without a doubt has been the most influential photographer to me. He concentrates on telling a story... documenting things he feels the western world needs to see.

He does come under criticism for making money from such dire circumstances, but personally his technique and commitment to a subject is inspiring.

A brief description and example of his work can be seen here:
www.stuartwoodall.blogspot.com

I'd have to say Michel Tcherevkoff. He's inspired me for years...going back to the late 80's.

Regards,
George

Most reactions

New Topics

Back